The annual Season Kick Off Luncheon has become a milestone marker for the start of each new season and this year's event benefiting the Chicago Fire Foundation featured the official first look at the team's new primary kit. The unveiling was greeted by polite applause from the majority of the room but there was also vociferous displeasure expressed from the gathering of Section 8 Chicago tables seated not far from the stage. Boos and catcalls were audible as players walked the stage.
The jersey itself wasn't much different than the "leaked" version that popped up online a few weeks ago but does look much better in person. It's not the abomination that some expected but it is better suited as a third jersey or secondary alternate than a primary kit.
In a press releases an Adidas spokesman attempted to explain the thinking behind the design.“This year’s look is inspired by the fire trucks of City of Chicago,” said Mike Walker, global product manager at adidas North America. “They have a distinctive look with a dark top, a band and red throughout the bottom half. Not only does this give a nod to the Chicago Fire Department, but it’s also a very iconic element of the city itself. We also thought it was so compelling to see the light blue color of the Chicago flag represented so powerfully across the front band of the kit.”
I'm not sure which fire trucks he's referring to.
Notes and news
- The event was emceed by ESPN1000's Fred Huebner who will host Chicago Fire Weekly every Saturday.
- Interestingly Orr Barouch and Yazid Atouba were not introduced with the remainder of the team. Trialists Thomas Piermayr and Patrick Walsh were also not present. Newly acquired Greg Cochrane will join the team on the west coast.
- Expect a deal for Grant Ward to be finalized some time before the weekend.
- The Fire currently have 28 signed players on the roster and Ward would be 29. It appears Yallop is looking to go with 28 going into the season.
- The Fire will travel to California today to begin training for the opener on Sunday against Chivas USA.