A few notes of interest for the Fire/Union match tomorrow night.
- Former Fire defender Bakary Soumare could start for the Union. He played in a reserve match last week and is listed as probable on the latest injury report.
- The Union are 5-4-1 at home but are 4-0-0 with John Hackworth at the helm.
- Steven Kinney is no longer listed on the Fire's injury report
- Frank Klopas has hinted that Sherjill MacDonald could get a start soon
- With a victory the Fire could pull to within three points of the top spot in the East. They also have a game in hand on the New York Bulls.
- A Fire win will give each of the top five teams in the East at least 11 victories. I think you're looking at the top 5 finishers right now. New York, Houston, Sporting, DC, and Chicago will all battle for positions. Columbus has the most realistic shot at cracking the top 5 but it will take an amazing run coupled with a collapse by one of the contenders to get in.
CHICAGO FIRE -- OUT: DF Cory Gibbs (R knee meniscus repair)
PHILADELPHIA UNION -- OUT: FW Krystian Witkowski (concussion symptoms); QUESTIONABLE: FW Antoine Hoppenot (nasal bone fracture); MF Michael Farfan (L foot contusion); MF Jimmy McLaughlin (L shoulder sprain); PROBABLE: DF Bakary Soumare (R knee menisectomy recovery)
The Union have won 4 in a row at home at every home match is a must win. The four victories have come against Sporting, Toronto, Montreal, and New England. The Fire are 3-5-3 on the road but a close loss in New York and a draw in San Jose shows they can compete in difficult road matches.
Fire 1 Union 1