The Fire will take on Chivas USA tomorrow afternoon at 2pm cdt and fans will be happy to hear that the club will provide a live audio stream of the action at Chicago-Fire.com. Brendan Hannan will handle the play by play duties and Jeff Crandall will chip in with sideline reports.
Here are a few other notes to peruse while listening to the match.....
- The Fire are looking to bring in another centerback or two for trial during this camp. Klopas said during his weekly media conference call yesterday that the team will sign another centerback before the season begins.
- Contrary to a published report in South America, Klopas says the Fire did not make a contract offer to Eduardo Dasent. "We never made a contract offer to Dasent. I know the player. I think the team was looking to send him over so we could look at him. He plays centerback and at times he's a right back, but that's the extent of that. We never reached out with any contract offer to him or to the team, but for some reason it didn't work out," said Klopas. " I don't know who wrote the story but it's not the accurate story".
- Sebastian Grazzini is fine after leaving the last match in the 41st minute with an ankle injury. He was pulled for precautionary reasons and has returned to full training.
- Klopas says the full roster is "pretty close" to set but evaluations are still taking place for several spots.
- A recent report listed Colombian left back Juan David Duque as a new MLS signee destined for either Portland or Chicago. Klopas said that he was aware of Duque but at this point the young defender was not set to report to camp with the Fire.
- Klopas seems to be favoring a formation with two forwards and likes the Oduro/Puppo combination. "Last year we played in a 4-4-2 system and I thought it suited us very well. It's the system that we've been working on but it's always good for any team to be familiar with at least two systems that they know very well. I went with those two (Pupp/Oduro in the last match) because I think that those two play very well off each other. Puppo's got very good movement, very smart the way he moves off the ball and he's got very good feet. There's a good understanding now when he plays with Dominic together. The last game against Real Espana, they worked really well together and created some very good opportunities," said Klopas. "We have some different options with different players we can play but those two are more dynamic with good mobility and fast. It depends on who we play, we'll have some different options but 4-4-2 is our primary system."
- The plan is for starters to play 45 minutes versus Chivas on Saturday, 60 minutes versus Portland on Wednesday, and close to 90 versus San Jose in the final California match.
- Rafael Robayo arrived at training on Wednesday and will not be available for the Chivas match. He may be ready to get a run against the Timbers.
- The Fire will also play the Ventura County Fusion following the CUSA match. The squad will likely be made up of "reserves".