Frank Klopas wrapped up his first training session as the "interim head coach" of the Chicago Fire this morning by answering questions regarding the immediate future and direction of the team after yesterday's dismissal of Carlos De Los Cobos. Klopas explained that the move was a "soccer decision" and was not an easy move to make considering that as Technical Director, De Los Cobos was his choice in January 2010. "The decision is not something that happened in one day or two days," said Klopas. "It's a process, we looked at many different things and just felt that we had to make a decision but it's the right decision for the team to move forward. Carlos is a great human being. I have tremendous respect for him but sometimes things just don't work out."
Klopas also addressed the timing of the move, who made the decision, his role as Technical Director and various other topics:
- De Los Cobos was notified of the decision on Sunday
- Soccer people made the soccer decisions
- With regard to formation and line up changes Klopas feels that drastic changes aren't in order at the moment. "This is not the time to experiment. You do stuff like this in preseason when you have two months to try things and figure things out. I think we just have to fine tune certain things."
- As far as staying on as head coach, Klopas was not speculating on how long he would hold the position. "It's not something I wanted. I'm the technical director and I love what I do, what I did, and what I will continue to do but we felt when this decision was made and moving forward we felt that the team needed continuity. I'm responsible for bringing the players here and I'm very familiar with the players. They know me and I think that transition would be very smooth instead of bringing in somebody new at this point in the season."
- On the search for a permanent coach, "We'll put a list together of candidates. The evaluation process will begin once the list is put together. Mike Jeffries, myself...then we'll start interviewing and evaluations." The club has not had any talks with coaching prospects.
- The attitude of the team is still very good and he believes in this team.
- Klopas does not feel that this seasons results are "make or break" for him as Technical Director but the team has issues to address. "I'm from the city so for me it's more personal. I will do everything humanly possible that I can."
- The Fire is still considering a move for an attacking midfielder during the July transfer window.
You can listen to the entire Klopas interview here.
De Los Cobos addressed the team this morning and wished them well while thanking them for the support and opportunity. "It takes some pretty strong character to get up in front of the group that just decided to let you go and face your former players," said Logan Pause.