Recapping the Conde Situation

Reports surfaced this morning via Raza Deportiva (a spanish language ESPN radio broadcast) that Wilman Conde was leaving Puebla's training camp and was not signing a contract with the team.  Last week Puebla FC announced on their web site that Conde had signed on with the team as a new reinforcement for 2011.  The site even featured pictures and a video interview with Conde - all apparently before a contract was officially signed.

Puebla's coach, Jose Luis Trejo confirmed through Raza Deportiva that Conde had indeed left and cited family reasons as the driving force for his departure (see the link in the comments section below).  According to the station, Conde's family was concerned with their safety and security in Mexico after living in the US for several years.  Recent reports of violence and crime in Mexico may have played a part in their concerns.  Conde's agent reportedly also became upset when negotiations with Puebla's administration did not go as planned and began looking for another club.

In an even odder twist to the story Raza Deportiva tweeted that Jose Luis Sanchez Sola, Puebla's former manager, somehow convinced Conde not to sign with Puebla.  Sanchez Sola is currently the manager at Estudiantes. 

Sam Stejskal spoke to Conde's agent Orlando Gutierrez this afternoon and he would not comment on Conde's departure from Puebla other than to say "there was too much going on" at the moment to comment.  Gutierrez hoped to have the situation resolved by Thursday.

Conde's options in the US are limited to the Fire at the moment.  If he were to return to MLS, the Fire currently still hold his rights and any move to another team would necessitate a trade. 

Comments

Leave a comment
  • Sam's article on mlssoccer.com......

    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/report-conde-wont-ink-mexican-club-puebla

  • Here's the full report on mediotiempo.com including a video interview with Puebla's coach.......

    http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/mexico/noticias/2010/12/07/por-inseguridad-wilman-conde-ya-no-viene-al-puebla

    He calls the move unprofessional and says Conde is heading back to Columbia to take care of some family issues.

  • This whole thing is just bizarre. And I'm not buying this whole security excuse. He and his family had to know that the security situation in Mexico is a bit dicey before going there, but Puebla has to be one of the most secure large cities in Mexico. I can't imagine anyone arriving there and then freaking out about security.

  • In reply to Ufficio:

    Bizarre indeed.

  • In reply to Ufficio:

    I think it's safe to say that it's not the same as a suburb in Illinois...

  • In reply to Rubberbandman189:

    Who goes to Mexico expecting it to be the same as Illinois? And the guy's from Colombia for chrissakes.

  • In reply to Rubberbandman189:

    The Fire have supposedly shown some interest in Saprissa's Walter Centeno....

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Centeno

    Saprissa says they have not received an offer from the Fire yet despite the supposed interest.

    http://www.nacion.com/2010-12-08/Deportes/Relacionados/Deportes2615150.aspx

  • In reply to cesba:

    Pretty decent looking resume. My only concern is his age and ability to adapt to the league's style of play. At that age, I'd rather the club go after GBS to be honest. Thanks for the updates GR.

  • In reply to fireman451:

    The age concerned me as well. I'm not expecting a whole lot to come out of the first round of the re-entry draft either.

  • In reply to fireman451:

    Walter Centeno may be a good player at the moment, but at his advanced age for a Soccer Player he wont have a lot of gas left in his tank. The Fire would be much better off with a younger player that can be arround for a few years.

  • In reply to fireman451:

    The Fire should be looking at proven younger players that have the
    potential to be around for a number of years. I thought 2011 was to be another rebuilding Year? Why build with older players that will only be around for the short term? Is this another indicator that
    the Fire front Office actually don't know what they are doing?

  • In reply to TigerJMS:

    I wouldn't rule out an older player if they can still play. Of course ideally you'd like to find young players like Pappa but younger guys who are any good in the positions that the Fire need are usually already making good bank elsewhere.
    It doesn't hurt to kick the tires on players like Centeno.

  • In reply to TigerJMS:

    I hope we snag someone on 12/15!
    I would have liked to have Jo here in Chicago with his size and speed! We need that here! Khano Smith from NE is available to right?
    I had a link to salaries but can't find it now...do you have a link Guillermo so we can see how much player was making to get a better idea if we want to take on the salary and risk?
    Lots of good talent like Conrad, Hyduk, Eddie Robinson, etc.
    If Nery would take off with another team out of MLS we would have crazy amounts of $ to spend!!!

  • In reply to smiley:

    Here's the link to 2010 player salaries....

    http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/august_12_2010_salary_information__by_club.pdf

    I'd pass on Khano Smith.

  • In reply to smiley:

    Hot Time In Old Town has a pretty good academy round up posted.....

    http://www.hottimeinoldtown.com/2010/12/8/1856379/chicagoland-academy-round-up-part-1-chicago-fire-u-14-u-15-16-u-17-18

  • In reply to TigerJMS:

    We need a player of 2 like Conrad, Hyduk, Robinson etc for that veteran leadership since we are so stripped down at the moment with such a outgoing of talent the past 2 seasons! We are like an expansion team now but with less league allocations & options to new teams! Columbus and NE are also retooling, as is DC...I guess we aren't alone!
    Out coach has had 1 year already and I don't see another one as being very productive and then he is probably going to be gone so not hoping for many miracles next year! Hope we are surprised and make the playoffs!
    Looks at SLC and Colorado! They both peaked at the right time to win the MLS Cup the past few years! Especially Colorado...how many people thought they would be the champs this year...honestly? ;-)

  • In reply to smiley:

    I just got a copy of Four-Four-Two magazine because I'll have some time to kill over the holidays (it's a massive magazine). They had an interesting article about English clubs with high manager turnover. Surprise - the instability never yields results. Teams that gave managers time to establish themselves almost always performed well in the end. I think MLS has similar stories. So, it gets wearisome to hear the "Chuck the coach" talk over and over. Just my two cents.

  • In reply to smiley:

    The Fire are reportedly interested in a central defender in Australia........

    http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/american-clubs-keen-to-sign-up-milicevic/2020706.aspx

  • In reply to cesba:

    A-HAL defenders is probably not a bad move for any MLS club. The A-League is fast , physical league much like MLS.

    KWS should be ready to step up in the middle and getting a solid, proven veteran (from another MLS club, HAL, smaller Euro leagues, etc) is a necessity in my book.

  • In reply to fireman451:

    Yep...MLS is at a point where they can start to pick players off of smaller leagues similar to the way Euro clubs pick off the best young MLS players.

    I've been trying to get a hold of Klopas for an update but he is out of the country again this week on another scouting mission.

  • In reply to fireman451:

    Normally, Ives rubs me the wrong way, but I like his story on this kid and I think he can't be worse than Collins John:

    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/12/college-cup-preview-michigans-meram-takes-unique-path-to-stardom.html#more

    During a hot summer evening game there were some Brits behind my season seats heckling John while he was warming up saying "Collins, what happened to your career, Collins?". He got pissed; threatened to get his personal guard (Monterrey Security) on the guy. I now wonder the same thing...

  • In reply to c0quito18:

    LOL Not surprised with that primadona

    Puebla is a suburb of Detroit

  • In reply to c0quito18:

    He's gotta be wondering the same thing.

  • In reply to c0quito18:

    Atlas is indeed interested in Conde........although this article calls him "Wilmer".........

    http://www.eltren.com.mx/index.php/deportes/7387-atlas-busca-fichar-defensa-extranjero

  • In reply to c0quito18:

    Video that makes the 2010 Fire look good.........

    http://theoriginalwinger.com/2010-12-09-chicago-fire-2010-mls-goals

  • In reply to c0quito18:

    wow....

    http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5903143/qatar-neighbors-host-games-2022-world-cup

  • In reply to cesba:

    Good lord, this is spirling downwards faster than the Fire could imagine. I can already see Sepp at the openning game in the scorching heat with 500 fans smiling and saying "we are opening football to a new world and a new culture", before crossing the street to his new delux mansion.

  • In reply to cesba:

    Maybe we should have it in the winter. Maybe we should have other countries host some games. Maybe we shouldn't have chosen Qatar.

  • In reply to cesba:

    There just simply aren't any nations in the middle east suitable for hosting an event as big as the WC. They're either too small, hot or unstable. FIFA needs to stop trying to press the issue and force world soccer into places that aren't ready for it. The only Muslim country the I see as having some potential to host a WC would be Turkey.

  • In reply to cesba:

    Victor Pineda gets called up for the US U-18's.....

    http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2010/12/pineda-israel

    Mike Matkovich is the head coach.

  • In reply to cesba:

    Here's a Conde photo taken during the good ol' days at Puebla (last week)........

    http://vivelohoy.com/deportes/7967859/listo-el-quinto-extranjero-del-atlas-wilman-conde

  • In reply to cesba:

    That's a pretty plain looking Puebla shirt. Is there any word on when the Fire are releasing their inevitable new jersey for the 2011 season?

  • In reply to c0quito18:

    There may be a new jersey sponsor in 2011. That will be one of my questions for Posada in an upcoming post.

  • In reply to cesba:

    Awesome, thanks for the information! So no more plain font "Best Buy"? I guess Circuit City is out of the running to replace them.

  • In reply to cesba:

    article on crains chicago about best buy not renewing
    http://tinyurl.com/2aahy6t

  • In reply to cesba:

    Conye always seems to find something wrong. We've been putting up with this drama way too long. He's so gifted at finding what he doesn't like the most. So I think it's time for us to have a toast.
    Conye West off his new album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Contract

  • In reply to fireman451:

    Stage 1 of the re-entry draft has come and only two players were selected. DC took Joseph Ngwenya and Columbus selected Aaron Hohlbien.

    I thought Jimmy Conrad would be taken even at the higher salary figure.
    The next round will be held on December 15 and should be more active since teams can select players and make new contract offers within seven days of the selection.

Leave a comment