The biggest news coming out of practice today is that Sean Johnson will miss Friday's game against Columbus with an eye injury suffered in training yesterday. Johnson is suffering through a condition called hyphema which occurs with internal bleeding in the eye causing blurred vision. The injury occured on Tuesday when Johnson was hit by a shot at close range. The jokes about a Fire player actually getting a shot on goal at the wrong time almost write themselves.
In other training notes:
- Nery Castillo resumed full training and should be available on Friday
- Krzyzstof Krol suffered a quad injury and is probably out on Friday although he is not on the injury report
- Gonzalo Segares has resumed full training and should start on Friday
- Calen Carr was out sick today but should be fine
- John Thorrington and Deris Umanzor both sat out training today
- Mike Banner is still out with an achilles injury
- Baggio Husidic resumed training today
- Andrew Dykstra will start on Friday and likely Tuesday against Kansas City
- CJ Brown and Dasan Robinson will likely start at centerback on Friday
When asked about younger players like Corben Bone and Victor Pineda getting on the field in the last four matches Carlos De Los Cobos responded, "Maybe we'll have the opportunity to see these guys at the end of the season. Maybe Corben Bone together with Logan Pause in center midfield since Thorrington is injured and Baggio is not 100%." He has been impressed with Pineda and feels he has an excellent future but he is more of a project at this point.
Jeff Crandall interviewed Frank Klopas on this week's All In podcast. Klopas had a few things of interest to say about this season. Among the highlights....
- He expected 7-10 goals this season from Collins John
- Explains the Bratislav Ristic signing delay
- And most curiously....thinks that he should have signed an experienced central defender during the past offseason