The Fire depart for California on Thursday to close out the season against Chivas USA on Saturday night. The game doesn't mean much to either side and the Fire could use the opportunity to get a look at some younger players.
- According to De Los Cobos he wants to give Corben Bone another shot against Chivas but hasn't decided whether or not he will start yet.
- Sean Johnson returned to training with the first team but the coach wants to review his recovery before making a decision on the goalkeeper for Saturday night.
- Brian McBride was out sick and did not train.
- Gonzalo Segares, Dasan Robinson, and Mike Banner are all on the official injury report and did not train today.
- Collins John is still out sick.
- Wilman Conde was not available after training and the Fire had no official comment regarding reports that the defender was heading to Israel on trial.
De Los Cobos also expounded on the season and the difficulties the team has had. "For me it's been a new experience. I needed to learn about the league, the characteristics of the players, and the way teams play in this league," said De Los Cobos. "I'm sure next season, my second in MLS will be very different. Now I know the players and the way to play against other teams. I'll have more tools to fight and play other teams too."
In terms of improvement on the field the coach offered, "We need to improve technique - passing the ball, shooting the ball, crossing - I need to work on that with our players."
We've disussed injuries and the effect of lengthier and more difficult training sessions on the current team in the comments section of a previous post. When asked about that topic De Los Cobos indicated that this will be addressed next season, "Part of the reason is guys were adapting to our style of work and training. Next season will be a different situation for me because I know the players better. I'll know better how to work (train) here - I need to take advantage of this."