The Fire returned to training today amid the realization that making the playoffs at this point will take something short of a miracle. Carlos De Los Cobos called the task "very difficult" but not impossibe. "Every week we talk and I tell you unfortunately the same thing. We're having mistakes, we lose concentration and make a big mistake like we did the other day. We need to play the (last) seven games with honor. We need to respect our fans and the add the points because nothing is impossible," said De Los Cobos.
"I feel bad" the coach continued, "because I don't want to repeat the same things. I know people are tired of listening to the same things. It's necessary the guys understand that we are professionals and need to put 100% on the field. This is the situation for our fans, our club, our jersey. We need to show our commitment and respect our fans and think we can win all the points (remaining)."
News and Notes Going into the Seattle Match
- Nery Castillo missed training today with a hamstring injury and will be re-evaluated tomorrow. In the meantime the team is training with Collins John as the lone forward. The midfield formation used today included Marco Pappa, Patrick Nyarko, Logan Pause, Bratislav Ristic, and Freddie Ljungberg. De Los Cobos referred to some early season success when contemplating tactics for this weekend's match. "We started the season with one forward formations and we had some good moments. In the last few matches we played two forwards but the last match was difficult with one less player. Maybe tomorrow I'll decide on one or two forwards depending on what happens with Nery."
- When asked about Ljungberg's role, De Los Cobos still see's him behind the forward spot. "Freddie normally plays good. I see him playing behind one or two forwards. It's a good position for him because he's close to the forwards. The last match I took him off because we were playing with one less player and I needed another forward like Calen Carr to find that one option to score."
- Dasan Robinson missed training today with a recurrence of the hamstring injury he has been battling. If Robinson is healthy, De Los Cobos prefers to play him at center back with CJ Brown in Conde's absense.
- Steven Kinney missed training with a quad injury. The Fire are without a healthy right back if Robinson plays in the middle. Deris Umanzor could see time at right back.
- John Thorrington returned to training although he doesn't feel 100% yet. He should be available for selection on Saturday.
- Brian McBride also returned to training and should be ready to go.
The Fire unveiled the restoration of a 13 year old mural at 1030 West 16th Street in the Pilsen neighborhood. The mural originally featured Jorge Campos and Roman Kosecki playing at Soldier Field. Section 8 has a few pictures of the event here.
Section 8 is also hosting a club anniversary planning event at The Pitch tonight. The anniversary party will be held on October 8.