Before you defriend me on Facebook or send me a nasty profanity laced email, hear me out for a minute.
Admittedly, it took me a while to write this blog since I feel so strongly about voting.
Voting was a big deal in the house I grew up in. It was considered sac-religious to not to vote. I have voted in every election since I was able to. I even did voter registration for several advocacy groups.
As someone who is a history buff and a self-proclaimed "information junkie," it is funny to me when people get into the two party system debate since both Democrats and Republicans continue to take turns screwing us whenever they can.
I hate it when people say "if you don’t vote, you can’t complain." That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The people who hold that uneducated doctrine dear seem to forget about one thing: The first amendment. You remember! It goes like this:
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”
“We The People” can complain about anything we want. It doesn't get any more American than that. I guess those folks think we live in Nazi Germany or in a Communist regime.
I have friends who do not think much of voting. I have asked them about why they feel this way. They all point to recent history. Both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney have taken campaign donations from Goldman Sachs. Click on the links that are attached to the names to see for yourself. To keep things honest, let’s throw in our Mayor’s relationship with the Wall Street stalwart.
Remember how Rahm Emanuel barely set foot in the Black community but got most of the Black vote? Let's be real about it. The reason most black people voted for Emanuel is because of a manufactured endorsement from President Obama. I know that you remember our Mayor taking plays right out of Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker’s union-busting playbook during the teachers strike.
Remember last year when the voter turnout was at 41 percent in Chicago? I guess the other 59 percent found something better to do than on Election Day.
Have you ever noticed that the people who are behind the Voter ID laws and the notable black figures use similar scare tactics? These people never run out of action verbs.
The Late, great comedian George Carlin said it best when it comes to what Americans like myself think about all of this:
They spend billions of dollars every year lobbying to get what they want. Well, we know what they want; they want more for themselves and less for everybody else. But I’ll tell you what they don’t want—they don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That’s against their interest. You know something, they don’t want people that are smart enough to sit around their kitchen table and figure out how badly they’re getting fucked by a system that threw them overboard 30 fucking years ago.
When I was doing some research for this blog, I wanted to find another opinion about voter apathy. I came across something that Hip-hop artist Talib Kweli once told the Huffington Post . “As I get older my stance on voting has shifted from saying “I refuse to participate” to “How can we participate in a way that’s smarter and conducive to our community?” We have to raise candidates that are worthy of our vote.”
I may have pissed some of you off with this blog but think about this next time you read from your flash cards in an attempt to make someone feel bad about not voting.
Full Disclosure: I’m going to vote but I can see if someone wants to find a better use of their time that day.
Filed under: Uncategorized
Tags: African-American, Chicago Now, City of Chicago, Civil Rights, Facebook, Fanning the Flames since 1978, George Carlin, Goldman Sachs, Huffington Post, Mitt Romney, President Barack Obama, Rahm Emanuel, Scott Walker, Talib Kweli, Twitter, United States of America, Wall Street