So it has been 20 years since the L.A. Riots, which stemmed from the acquittal from the Rodney King beating. At WVON on Friday, a taped interview with Rodney King was played over the air. Since King was beaten then these events have happened:
- O.J Simpson (the ford bronco to civil suit)
- Countless number of police brutality cases
- The treatment of Arab-Americans after 9/11
- The slow response to Hurricane Katrina
- Racially charged language towards the sitting President
- Trayvon Martin
- A Black hockey player being racially lambasted on Twitter
I could name more events but I don’t want to sound redundant.
After President Obama was elected, people started to say that we live a post-racial society.” Due to the fact that the country elected a black president many thought that racism was going to put in the rear view mirror. No one I know is that naïve.
Racism is alive and well. We see it and we feel it whether it is at our jobs or anywhere else. Like most people, we want to be judged on our laurels alone. Too bad that is not the case.
Rodney King famously asked “ Can we all get along?” Well due to the aforementioned events..No Rodney! We can’t! The powers that be prefer it that way.