Yes, this blog is about me and my athletic endeavors in and around Chicago. Yes, I want you to feel empowered to try new activities in new locations. But I also want you to feel a connection to me as an author. So, with that, here are some questions that are going around that I thought I’d answer! Today is running and fitness related. Friday will be more about me!
First up, me as a runner:
1. FUEL: Shot Bloks, GU, Energy Chews, Candy or Other?
I’ve run all three of my marathons plus several other half marathons using Clif Shot Bloks. Toward the end of my 2011 marathon training, though, I discovered Clif Gel Shots. These are AMAZING. So, I’ve started incorporating them into my training, too. Any race longer than 10K gets a little bit of something.
2. Race Length: 5k, 10k, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, Ultra or Other?
I actually find this question really difficult to answer. All come with their own challenges and excitement. I’ve run 24 5Ks, ten 10Ks, 10 half marathons, three marathons, five 10 milers, four 3.5 milers, four 4 milers and three duathlons. Not to mention one Ragnar relay race and one triathlon relay. You’d think after all of those races I’d have a favorite distance. But I just don’t.
3. Workout Bottoms: Skirts, Running Shorts, Capris, Pants or Other?
Anything but running tights. I HATE having to run in running pants. Give me shorts, capris or a skirt any day.
Yes, I’m wearing capris when there is snow on the ground.
4. Sports Drink: Gatorade, Powerade, Cytomax, you stick to water when you run or Other?
During my marathons and some of my half marathons I’ve carried Gatorade and water with me. I haven’t tried any of the other sports drinks on the market. But as long as it doesn’t have fake sugar it’s probably okay. I don’t do fake sugar.
5. Heat or Cold?
6. Running Shoe Brands: Saucony, Mizuno, Nike, Brooks, Asics or Other?
I was a Brooks Adrenaline gal until last year when a gait analysis showed I needed more support. So right now I run in Asics GEL Foundations.
7. Pre-race meal: Oatmeal, Bagel, Banana, Eggs, Cereal or Other?
White bread or egg bagel, toasted and smeared with peanut butter. I’ll also scarf a Clif bar or a granola bar of some kind 30 minutes before some longer races. I prefer to run on a full stomach.
8. Rest Days: 1x per week, 2x per week, never ever ever or Other?
At least one? I sort of burned myself out toward the end of 2011 so this year I vowed to be more sane. I prefer to get some kind of activity in 5 out of 7 days in a week but I’m totally cool if that doesn’t happen.
9. Music: Have to have it or go without it?
When running by myself I like having it but I can also run and race without it. But working out in the gym by myself? Music is a must!
10. #1 reason for running: stress-relief, endorphins, you love to race, so you can eat all the cupcakes you want, weight-loss, love running for social reasons or Other?
Because I can? Some day I might not be able to or I might have to take a break. So right now I run because my body lets me.
Filed under: Running