Strawesome is a family-owned and operated Michigan-based green company that produces beautiful reusable glass drinking straws. Artist Daedra Surowieca and her husband are co-founders of this unique business based in Detroit, Michigan. Daedra started out as a graduate of Architecture school, became a mom and quit her job, tried various other side jobs and finally surrendered to her love of glass making. Surely Strawesome straws are pretty but why should you use reusable straws? According to their website, here are ten reasons why you should:
- Concern about plastic usage is at an all-time high. Glass drinking straws are one way to limit your exposure to toxins from plastics because they are toxin-free! No BPAs, phthalates, etc.
- If you use straws a lot, think about how many plastic straws you throw in to a landfill every year. Including the instances you dine out at restaurants this number can be astronomical! Being green has never been so easy. Replacing your disposable plastic straws with a glass straw is one little thing you can do to help save our planet.
- The feeling of glass on your lips will help you lose weight on your hips! Not only is it fun to drink from a glass straw but also studies have shown that drinking from something more substantial than plastic may help you lose weight.
- Strive to consume more water? Make it fun with a glass straw. It really works!
- Want to help your kids eat more fruits & vegetables? Make it fun with a green smoothie and a glass straw.
- According to speech therapists, glass straws help kids with oral development making it easier for them to learn to articulate and pronounce words.
- Jaw wired shut or have a hard time eating without a straw? A glass straw might do the trick!
- Has your dentist mentioned teeth staining? Use a glass straw to have your beverages bypass your teeth when you drink coffee, tea, red wine, or any acidic beverage and then see what your dentist says at your next checkup.
- If you are a smoothie lover, guess what? Yep! Glass straws make smoothie consumption a whole 'notha experience. Perfect for the green smoothie, protein shake, or any thick beverage!
- Want a gift for the person who has everything? Buy them a personalized glass straw from Strawesome. Drinking straws are great gifts for special occasions like bridal showers, baby showers, weddings, or corporate gifts.
I can't tell you how many times I have bought cheapy Dollar Store straws with holes in them. It's so annoying when I can't get my yummy breakfast smoothie down uninterrupted. I'm impressed with Strawesome's catalog of products. They have straws in a variety of types and functions such as straws for drinking smoothies and bubble teas. You can also have your straws engraved or personalized. This option is especially helpful for large families.
One concern I had was breakage. I don't have kids but Undercover Mother has tested strawesome with good results; Naturemoms also blogged about their safety. If you would like to upgrade your own crappy plastic straws to works of art click here.