Today is Love Your Body Day. This important day has been created by NOW which stands for National Organization for Women. According to NOW's website 80% of U.S. women are dissatisfied with their appearance? That's a lot of women isn't it? In response to this apparent dissatisfaction NOW's The Let's Talk About It project is encouraging women to speak up and speak out about body image on camera. Click here for more info.
Here are a few of my own tips on loving your body today, right now just as it is:
- Focus on what you already love about your body? Do you love your eyes? How your fingers glide across a piano? The sweet sound of your voice? Write it down and the next time you feel sad take a look at it.
- Honor what your body does right. Even though I'm no supermodel I do acknowledge that my body does a thousand things right. I walk, talk, see (although not perfectly), breathe, play, etc.
- Wear something that makes you feel beautiful. Do you love magenta? Animal prints? Silver pumps? Green eyeshadow. Celebrate your individual style.
- Share the love! Compliment others. Do you admire someone's yoga practice? The way another curvy woman dresses? Then spread the love.
- Savor something delicious that's good for your body. I love healthy comfort foods like spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes or diary free chocolate pudding.
If you're on Twitter today you can follow NationalNOW and use the hashtag #lybd to talk about Love Your Body Day and the things you are doing to celebrate this important day. I'm looking forward to reading about what you are up to.