Whether you're a cycling enthusiast, bicycle commuter, recreational rider, or just bike-curious, consider these ten reasons for driving out to Harper College for the Bike Swap this Saturday:
10. Venturing out on the coldest Saturday morning in January reminds you just how much you miss being able to ride your bike every day. I realize this only applies to fair weather riders like me…
9. Buying a new bike and a bunch of bicycling gear is the best cure for SAD and cabin fever. However, if you can’t resist the urge to model your new cycling apparel for everyone you encounter, you may still want to seek professional help…
8. You will never find this many motivated sellers all under the same roof. Grudgingly, I might add…
7. Cash is king and you deserve to be treated like royalty – if only for one day.
6. Take advantage of the purchasing mistakes of dozens of area bike shops. One-of-a-kind, overstock, special purchase, closeout, demo, and dented & scratched items will be available at exceptional discounts. (End fast talking, shouting, “you can’t afford to miss this” announcer voice)
5. Seriously, you will be astonished by the selection of new bikes, apparel, equipment, accessories, parts, and even nutrition supplements. In addition to local bike shops, dozens of individuals offer one-of-a-kind and hard-to-find used items, too.
4. Where else can you find a quality used bike in your correct size, in top mechanical condition, at a fair price, sold by a legitimate seller?
3. Harper College is easy to find and yes, Palatine is an actual place. Located just north of 1-90 (formerly Northwest Tollway now Jane Addams, future Oprah Winfrey) at Roselle and Algonquin.
2. Meet interesting people. There are no true celebrities in attendance, but a good percentage are legends in their own minds.
1. Enjoy a hardy lunch of the finest cuisine you would expect from your favorite sports venue’s concession stand. Or you can just snack on energy bar samples…
-1. Meet me! I will be hanging out with the crew of Bicycle Heaven. If you know anyone around 6’2 interested in a great deal on my signature, barely ridden, red, 2011 Bianchi Infinito Ultegra, send them my way (I have to switch to a 2012 color for the new season).
Here are the details:
Saturday, January 21st, 9:30am – 3:30p
Admission $5, kids 12 and under free
1200 W. Algonquin Road
Palatine, IL 60067
Looking forward to seeing you there!