The Chicago Auto Show opened to the public today at 10 a.m. and runs through Sunday, Feb. 19, at 8 p.m. While the show is a little light on concept cars this year, there is plenty at McCormick Place to keep you enthralled, including 4 test tracks where you can take a ride (Jeep, Ram, Fiat, Toyota) and more than 1,000 production models to sit in and ogle. My best advice: Get there early and wear comfortable shoes.
And, while you're there, my top 10 must sees are:
10. GMC Acadia. In the smaller "luxury" hall, tucked all the way in the back, be sure to take a look at the all-new 2013 Acadia and Acadia Denali. Launched on Tuesday at the show, this is a production vehicle that will be on the roads soon. And, with the current snowy conditions, this SUV thing seems like a really good idea right about now.
9. Mercedes display. There are a trio of stunning vehicles here that are absolutely worth spending some time looking at: SLS with gull wing doors, SLS convertible and all-new SL.
8. Test drives! The Kia Optima Hybrid and Nissan Leaf will be available for you to test outside.
7. Vote for Best of Show. Before you leave, be sure to stop by one of the kiosks and vote for your favorite cars of the show. You could win an iPad 2.
6. Hyundai display. This display is chockfull of a ton of gorgeous and affordable cars, two of which they launched this week at the show: the Elantra Coupe and Elantra GT. Don't miss the new Veloster Turbo, which has more than 200 horsepower and has the same quirky styling as the regular model.
5. Ford Shelby GT500 Convertible. In the main hall, likely the first thing you'll see is this blue beauty. Stick around and at regular intervals you can hear the engine roar.
4. Kia Display. In addition to Kia Karaoke, you've got to check out the GT Concept. In a move I've come to expect from Kia, they have the best concept at the show.
3. Chevrolet Display. First there's a 1953 Corvette on display. That alone is worth the trip. But tucked back against the wall, there are also a couple of cool concepts: the CODE130R and the TRU140S
2. The Lexus LF-LC. This concept car is absolutely mesmerizing. Some awesome eye candy to drool over.
And my No. 1 don't miss ....
1. The Jeep Test track at the back of the main hall. I recommend that you actually start your visit there so you can be sure to get this in. Lines will be long. But the ride is worth the wait.
And before you go ... be sure to check out the floor map, and plan your attack.