Jon Snow and Ygritte happily ever after? No, (spoiler alert if you are way, way behind) it didn't turn out that way on Game of Thrones. But we have hopes in real life, as Kit Harrington and Rose Leslie, the two actors who play(ed) the roles, were married June 23rd. With no White walkers or impenetrable walls in sight (yet), their love affair has a chance for a good long run.
Jon and Ygritte are not the first TV costars to be married in real life. We can go back to Lucy and Ricky, ie Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, on I Love Lucy, and even before that to Burns and Allen, with George Burns playing off his real-life wife, the wonderfully ditzy Gracie Allen. A few years later Martin Landau and Barbara Bain, a married couple, were both part of the ensemble cast of Mission: Impossible, while Jill Eikenberry worked alongside her spouse Michael Tucker on L.A. Law.
So what other co-stars should have been married for real? Here's my Top Ten list.
Ten Costars Who Should Be, or Should Have Been, Married in Real Life
- Roseanne and John Goodman Roseanne: Only because he is such a good actor, he could make us believe they belong together.
- Dick van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore The Dick Van Dyke Show: Oh Rooooob, didn't you want to be with Laura all the time?
- Daniel J. Travanti and Veronic Hamel Hill Street Blues: The Pizza Man sizzled with the D.A.
- Bryan Cranston and Anna Gunn Breaking Bad: Because all that intensity should have carried on into real life.
- Gwen Stefanie and Blake Shelton The Voice: Ok, this is a gimme.
- Robin Wright and Kevin Spacey House of Cards: Yeah I know that wouldn't be his preference, and he has done bad things, but it would be great tabloid fodder.
- Julie Bowen and Ty Burrell AND Eric Stonestreet and Jesse Tyler Ferguson Modern Family: A sweet twofer.
- Bob Newhart and Suzanne Pleshette The Bob Newhart Show: They were so good together they made it to the final episode of Newhart, a totally different show. With apologies to Joanna Loudon. Sorry, you will never be the ideal mate for Bob.
- Lena Headey and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Game of Thrones: No other brother and sister act ever lit up the small screen the way the Lannister kids did.
- Claire Daines and Damian Lewis Homeland: Brody we hardly knew ye.
So that's my Top Ten. As always, I am open to suggestions...
Like what you read here? Add your name to our subscription list below. No spam, I promise!
photo credit: Philippe_ <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/12346585@N02/36815099536">Alliances</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/">(license)</a>
Filed under: Uncategorized