The notifications started going out to teaches and parents Friday and Saturday, and Sunday CPS sent the following announcement about its plans to open schools on Monday despite the severe cold (which is what persuaded New York City to close schools on Friday). Take a look. What do you think?
CPS PREPARES FOR SEVERE WINTER CONDITIONS AS STUDENTS RETURN TO SCHOOL ON MONDAY
CHICAGO – Given the forecast for historically cold temperatures on Monday, January 6th, the first day of classes following the winter break, Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is preparing a comprehensive winter weather plan to ensure students and school personnel have a warm, comfortable and safe learning environment.
“While all District schools are slated to be open on Monday, I strongly encourage parents to use their own discretion in deciding whether to send their child to school,” said CPS CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett. “We will be working throughout the weekend to ensure that our buildings and school officials are ready to receive students on Monday.”
The winter weather plans are being communicated to CPS parents and guardians through robo calls, running over the course of the weekend, along with updates on the CPS website and additional information on a winter weather hotline at (773) 553-3100.
Highlights of the plan include:
- Building engineers will turn boilers up to standard classroom temperatures starting on Sunday. In case of a malfunction, the District, in coordination with the principal and network chief, will make plans to transport students to an alternate site.
- Students will remain in the building until picked up if they are being picked up.
- Recess would be indoors.
- The District is working with bus vendors to ensure that all vehicles are operating properly Monday morning, arrive as scheduled, and that wait times are minimized.
- Safe Passage workers will be on their usual routes to ensure that students arrive to school safely.
- Parents are encouraged to ensure students are properly dressed for the conditions and to drop off children at school at the regularly scheduled time.
- All athletic events will continue as regularly scheduled.