A Meeting Without A Quorum ... Is Still A Meeting?

Down_arrow
The folks at PURE tell me that the Curie LSC wants to meet tomorrow, having failed to make quorum last time around, and it seems clear that the (non)attendance of the principal and the the teacher reps is meant to be some sort of litmus test about who cares for the school and who doesn't.  I'm not sure that there's a ton that's on the agenda in terms of substance (filling a vacancy and some budget transfers), though, and the situation reminds me of the couple that's breaking up who has to live out the lease on the shared apartment.  They're forced together even though they're broken up.  Same thing with Curie.

UPDATE:  Ramos hearing is scheduled for Friday.

UPDATE 2:  Where did the Maggie Daley -- Principal Moore Jones rumor start (that Daley intervened because Maggie and Moore Jones know each other socially), and has anyone verified it?

Filed under: Communities & CBOs

Comments

• Like it or not Local School Council members are important to our children success in education.

LSC are the governg body of the school and good and powerful one is worth more ten good principal and twenty school CEOs.

The state law gives all LSCs great power over their school and if this power is known and use for the benefit of the students as it was planned.

In past years principals had been told that they did not have to listern to their LSC members, this tend is carry on as you read this blog.

This all a plan of distorting the powers of this governing body.

LSC members learn the state law as it pertains to the Local School Councils.

REMEMBER, you are your principal's direct supervisor.

• POOR BABY! POOR BABY!

You must be a principal who thinks they because of their degree of the wall.

What did you not understand!

Local School Councils are if fact the principal direct supervisors. If they can hire, fire, and evaluate the principals

perfromance what make you think that they are not supervising the principal as well?

A LSC that is worth its weight in gold has a major role in the day to day operation of the school. Has a major say in how and what school's fund should be spend on or activies are.

The Local School Council's leadership Development Guide as well as the laws of the state relating to lSC's gives LSC's this power to supervise thier principals. During the LSCs training this is not taught of told to the LSC members.

It's true that the principal is a member ot the this governing body, but has no more power than any of the other members.

If you have a supervisor, I am very sorry that you feel that you are a his or her subordinate. To make sure we are talking about the right word subordinate meaning 1. Belonging to a lower or inferior class or rank; secondary. 2. Subject to the authority or control of another.

Be a seeker of truth. Speak what you are sure of and not what seems right or what you feel is the truth.

Class is out!

• To April 10, 2007 11:31 PM

Intelligence is the

capacity to acquire and apply knowledge. b. The faculty of thought and reason. c. Superior powers of mind.

Misspelled words are a poor example of intelligence. Suntimes, Tribune, CBS, NBC, ABC abnd i can go on and on and on where there are many mistakes in writing and other items that makes thier news or television show.

I am producing a television show on the problems within the Chicago's Public School system and you are invited to be a guest to showcase your intelligence.

email me with your respond.

darnellglover4412b@yahoo.com

• April 11, 2007 @ 07:37 AM

Offices,and schools all accross the world are filled with executives who cannot spell, but have those who write letters for them.

As a freelance photographer for the past thirty of so years I have ran into many editors who send their written words to what we called proof readers.

As a casemanager for over 19 years I have ran into many college learned casemangers that could not spell their way out of a paper bag, but this did not stop them from assisting thier clients.

Henry Ford went to court to keep from getting his company taken from him because the men of that day for some of the same misinformed reasons you have stated here.

Education is knowing how and where to attain information when it is needed.

You educated fools should stop feeling that you are so much smarter than others, or maybe your lack of thinking abilities are the problem.

• April 11, 2007 at 07:37 AM

I am very soory that you have misunderstood me.

I am currently the LSC Chairman at my kids school. I was part of the LSC team that hired our current educational leader, which by the way is doing a great job.

When my office hours at the school was 7:30 AM to 5Pm every day for the last few years, most of the time I did not see or tlak with the leaders of this school, because I could see and hear the great job they was doing. The key word to this problem is "Parents" and you need to stop it.

I did not creatre or make the law as it concerns the LSC's. I am not a power hunger person and it is not my stand to do anyone's else job. All I am concern about is the education of our children not for any of our adult's furture, but for theirs.

We have missed up the world with our thinking and will soon want them to fix it. My question to you is why should they.

In school I learned things to find out later in life that I was misinformed.

I am very sorry and do mean truly sorry that you feel the way you do, but on the other hand that is your problem.

• April 11, 2007 @ 07:37 AM

You stated:

But LSCs that are trying to trump the legitimate role of educators should be shut down. As others have said on this blog, this is not the norm in the rest of this state, it is not the norm in other states, it is a chicago thing, prompted by advocates and people who have carved out a bit of terrain for themselves and a response to an ineffective district. But there isn't evidence that it is the thing, on its own, that solves the improvement of our schools.

My respond:

The Chicago Public Schools and it's board is everyday working to take the public out of public schools. Our city leaders are working every day to push as many poor people out of our public schools and the city.

Almost on a daily basis our students city wide are havng problems crossing gang boundries.

Good educational leaders are leaving the schools in large numbers some inpart because of micromanagement of this school's system.

I am a concern parent and will work as hard as I can in my last days so that others can have a better life, and it is in my prays that you will do the same....

• I, as a LSC Chair now really do not have the time to be at my children's school on a daily basis.

If I members of this LSC had to keep up with our educational leader day by day. I here to tell you she would not be our principal. As from day one she has been doing your job and doing it well. Although if we wanted too it would be within our legal responsibilities to do this that and if in fact she didn't like it then she would have some choices to consider.

We don;t have the need to micromange anything she is doing, every year for the last four years our students has made grear improvements thanks to her, schools staff and the LSC in partnership. What we do is all for the students and nothing else.

AS I stated in another posting I was in the LSC's office daily from 7:30 AM - 5:00PM talking to people about Wadsworth, getting VIP's to come and talk to students in the classrooms. etc.

If there was nothing that I or the other LSC memebers did not understand we asked questions. I do agree that micromanaging on any level is wrong and I am totally against it.

I know some of you really do not understand the LSC and do not know the State Of Illinois Laws as it pertain to the Local School Councils and really belief the misinfromation that has be given on this blog and coming from other souces.

All I want as a parent and a Chair is for all of my students to have the same education as others that will allow each of them to think for themselvies as they enter adulthood.

• April 11, 2007 at 02:10 PM

I am sorry, I promise I will do better.

• April 11, 2007 at 02:21 PM

Are you saying that educated people who works for cps can be thugs?

• April 11, 2007 @ 5:44PM

Thank you for the advice. From what I understand this is a public forum.

What my concerns are there are so much misinformation about the LSC's.

The CPS, Teacher's Union, the Board of Education, Aldermen, and the Mayor over steps their boundaries daily, many times this hurts the very ones that are voiceless.

There is a growing problem which create battles when there are families being put out or their communities, schools and homes because of self interest groups.

As a man of color I have been fighting wars and battles just because of my skin coloring as well as helping others fight their day to day battles. So, I do not have to look for a fight, every morning I wake up if there is pain, there is war.

Our students are hurting, our students are crying out in pain, are you listerning? Our students wants to be heard, but no one is listerming.

I am Darnell Tyrone Glover, I do not know how to be anyone else. Grammatical mistakes or not I will email, write and speak whatever is on mind and really don't care who dislikes it.

All things that seem one way may not be that way...

Unpolish is not being perfect, now my friend who do you know that is truly perfect.

By the way I LOVE to see my name in print.

• Misunderstanding also