Another energetic set ends with Hippo's latest single "Buttercup." There is syncopated shouting and clapping.
So the world will always know/Violet, you and your fucked up riot
Trying to get up and then go/So the world will always know."
Crowd chants. Heads explode. Fists are pumping, mouths are smiling, and singing.
"You go go go/You go go go."
What a way to end their Chicago set.
I was up in the balcony screaming along. I wanted to be on the floor, but that space is for the kids. I'm old, and so are the people I'm with. The Vic has a really nice balcony for old folks, with easy access to the bathrooms and a bar. See how old people think?
- "Poems"-Pearly, pretty prize, and a ribbon box of sighs/In a collared shirt/She thought it wouldn't hurt...
- "Interlude"-Horns, feedback. Welcome to the party...
- "Suicide Saturday"-Where all the fist pumping began!
- "Western Kids"-This song makes you want to MOVE!
- "No Pomegranates"-Lead guitar player Nathan gets his spot in the limelight. Really upbeat. I like it but it needs to have more of a Hippo feel to work on record.
- "Little Grace"-Another anthem...
- "Traveller"-The lead on this reminds me of the Greatful Dead, or Phish. Definintely jam band-ish. The breakdown part is the bomb: "I woke with a headache/My bones and my body/Screamed, "Son, where the hell is your head?"/I reached for some water/To quench the fire/That's burning up in my bed."
- "Warm Glow"-The intuition of this band together is better than anything I’ve seen.
- "Simple Season"-This simple season is all ours...
- "Joy"-A new take from Jake. It's refined and spacious. This seems to be the new direction they are going, as we glimpsed on Landmark.
- "Baseball"-or the "I was wrong" song. The band is on the cusp of absolute stardom.
- "Opportunistic"-"Grace do you want me/Grace till you die?"
- "South"-I love everything about this song. It's fucking brilliant.
- "Monsoon"-What once seemed like a skipper, is now one of my favorite songs.
- "Way It Goes"-God, what a single, what a song!
- "Buttercup"-She’ll be fine
- "Violet"-The Grand Final
The song setlist isn't perfect, but neither were my notes.
Wanna subscribe to my blog? Please do so below...