Lots of Cubs got into the Fall League action tonight in Mesa. Meanwhile the Cubs are building a cache of catchers at Riverview Park...
Thank you to reader "Buzz" who supplied the pictures above, the velo readings on CJ Edwards, and some of the specifics on Gerardo Concepcion and Dan Vogelbach.
Instructs (stats from The Cub Reporter)
- The Cubs had a number of catchers do well with Victor Caratini leading the way with 4 hits, including a double and a HR. He also walked, drove in 2, and scored 4.
- Gioskar Amaya started the game at catcher before moving to 3B. In between it all he went 2 for 5 (both singles). Amaya did allow a passed ball.
- Johan Matos just turned 18 a few days ago and he had a belated celebration today with a HR. Matos played in the DSL and hit 6 HRs in 53 ABs last year while hitting .289/.378/.469 overall. He was part of that huge IFA class in 2013 that included Eloy Jimenez and Gleyber Torres.
- Jordan Hankins who has seen time at catcher but played 1B today, went 3 for 5 with 4 RBI. All hits were singles.
- Kevonte Mitchell was in LF and went 3 for 4, including a double.
- Solid pitching performance from Jeremy Null who had that sinker and that big downward plane going, retiring all 6 batters, 5 via groundout.
- Chesny Young, 2B, went 2 for 4 with a single, triple, and 3 RBI.
- LHP Tommy Thorpe pitched 2 scoreless innings, walking 1 and striking out 3.
- Erick Leal pitched 2 scoreless, though he was wilder than usual, walking 2, hitting a batter, and throwing a wild pitch.
- David Garner also went 2 innings without allowing a run or walking a batter. He struck out 1.
- Nice to see Scott Frazier throw a scoreless inning -- and nicer still that he did not walk a batter. 6 of this 12 pitches went for strikes.
Fall League: Mesa Solar Sox
- The big news was CJ Edwards, who started the game and allowed a run on 3 hits in 2 innings. He walked one and struck out one. The most encouraging thing is that Edwards was throwing hard again after an injury shortened season in which he lost some velo late in the season. He was at 94-97.
- Zach Cates pitched 2 innings and allowed one run. He walked one and struck out one.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion got hit hard. He certainly didn't miss bats, allowing 3 hits and 2 runs and not striking out a batter. He did walk 2 hitters as well.
- At the plate, only Dan Vogelbach cracked the Solar Sox lineup today and went 1 for 4, but other than the line drive single it was weak contact all day.
Filed under: Fall/Winter Baseball