It's rare that all the top prospects have relatively quiet games but that was the case today. However, a couple of the Cubs most recent acquisitions, Victor Caratini and Jonathan Martinez, had big debuts for Kane County.
At Tennessee, CJ Edwards came back strong in an abbreviated outing.
On the downside, the Daytona Cubs have fallen into a bit of a funk and today they were no-hit by Pensacola's Blake Snell while Tyler Skulina had an FSL debut that he'd probably rather forget.
The recap isn't quite as exciting as yesterday, but a deep system means you can always find a few good performances...
- Dallas Beeler left the ball up more than he usually does and when that happens he'll give up a few hits. He gave up 7 hits, including a 2-run HR. and 5 runs overall in 6 innings. He walked one and struck out 4 but fell to 7-6 with a 3.70 ERA.
- Matt Szczur continued his solid play with a double and a single, raising his average to .259.
- Josh Vitters HR'd for the 2nd time in 2 days. It was his 11th of the year but is hitting just .205 with an OBP of just .265.
- Just after he finally got his K rate below 30%, Javier Baez struck out 3 times to go right back over that benchmark. He did walk, which raised his walk rate to a solid 7.5%.
- Kris Bryant walked twice, singled, and scored a run. Bryant's walk rate continues to be excellent at 12.5% while he is really cutting down on those Ks. The rate is down to 27.1%, which is just one percentage more than his career rate. In the last two weeks, covering 55 PAs, Bryant has struck out just 10 times, a rate of 18%.
- CJ Edwards made his first start for the Smokies since April and was able to last 3.1 innings before reaching his pitch count. He walked 2 and struck out 5 while allowing just one run on 2 hits. Edwards has a 2.63 ERA overall.
- Tony Zych took the loss when he allowed one run in his one inning of work. He is 4-5 with a 5.44 on the season.
- Albert Almora doubled and went 1 for 4 overall. Since his 1 for 18 start, Almora has gone 9 for 27 with 2 doubles and a HR.
- Christian Villanueva doubled, walked and drove in the games only run.
- This game was pretty much a disaster from start to finish. Tyler Skulina made his debut and managed to pitch just one inning. He was wild, issuing 3 walks, hitting a batter, and throwing 2 wild pitches. It led to 3 runs overall. Could be a case of first game jitters.
- No hits...in fact, the only hitter to earn his way on base was Chadd Krist, who drew the D-Cubs only walk.
- Jonathan Martinez, who was the PTBNL in the Darwin Barney deal, had an impressive debut. Martinez worked 5 innings and allowed just 3 hits and did not walk a batter while striking out 2 One of those hits was a solo HR.
- Jasvir Rakkar has pitched better at Kane County so far than he did at Boise. He went 1.2 innings and struck out 4 batters.
- Shawon Dunston is keeping a good thing going with 2 more hits, including a double, with a run scored and an RBI. He is hitting .279/.315/.393.
- Danny Lockhart did get the call back to Kane and went 1 for 5. He scored and drove in a run.
- Ben Carhart went 2 for 3 with a walk and 2 runs scored.
- Jacob Rogers pitched in with a pair of singles and a walk to raise his line to .272/372/.450 with 13 HRs. His first 4 weeks of the season were pretty rough but since then he has hit .300/.387/.518 with 11 HRs. Rogers, however, is among the longest of longshots as he was a 40th round pick and is going to be 25 this month.
- Jeimer Candelario has been steady even if he hasn't ever completely broken through this season. He went 2 for 4 with a double, run scored, and an RBI. He is hitting just .248 in the MWL.
- Victor Caratini introduced himself to the Cubs organization with 2 hits and 3 RBI. Not a bad start for the Cubs new top catching prospect.
- Erick Leal pitched 5 batters and did not issue a walk but he did not miss many bats either, striking out just 2 and allowing 9 hits, two of them HRs. The RHP acquired for Tony Campana has a 5.02 ERA at Boise.
- Alberto Diaz had perhaps his best outing of the season with 3.1 innings in which he walked one and struck out 4. The gave up just one run but that was enough to tip the scales and tag him with the loss.
- The big blow came from Justin Marra who hit a 3-run HR, his 7th dinger of the year. Marra is hitting .291/.365/.539.
- Mark Zagunis doubled, walked, scored, and drove in a run. Zagunis went o for 6 yesterday so he bounced back nicely today. He is hitting .310 on the year.
- The DP tandem of Jason Vosler and Bryant Flete each had 2 singles. Flete moved over the .300 mark at .308.
- Alex Santana went 4 innings and allowed 3 walks vs 1 K. He gave up 2 runs as his ERA went up slightly to 2.96.
- Tanner Griggs allowed 3 runs in 2 IP to take the loss.
- CF Kevonte Mitchell continues to surprise with a pair of singles and a walk. He also singled, scored, and stole 2 bases.
- Eloy Jimenez doubled and drove in 2 runs in his 3 ABs. He has tailed off a bit, dropping off to .239
Filed under: Daily Cubs Minors Recap