As you may know, we have a new puppy in the Arguello household and puppies have this way of commanding all your attention. They're a lot of fun -- but there's a lot of work to do.
This spring it's hard not to keep an eye on the Cubs young pups and even though there is a game coming on at 2 pm. The kids are once again showing they can play with the big dogs:
Here's a summary of some of the action as of this writing...
- Kris Bryant has a double, a single, an RBI and a run scored.
- Albert Almora has a pair of singles, an RBI, and has scored a run. He's also playing well in the field.
- Arismendy Alcantara has a double, a run scored, and drove in a run with a groundout.
- Matt Szczur is having a nice all around game, getting on with a bunt single, stealing a base, and scoring a run. He also drove in a run with a sac fly and made a nice running catch.
- The starting pitcher Jason Hammel pitched 3 scoreless innings while Justin Grimm and new closer Jose Veras pitched in a scoreless frame.
Yesterday Javier Baez ripped a double the opposite way that nearly left the park. ESPN Chicago's Jesse Rogers has an interview with him here. Among the excerpts:
- Baez compares his swing to Gary Sheffield's but says he's not trying to copy anyone.
- He's been working on reading pitches, particularly breaking pitches. He's trying to learn when they fall out of the strike zone and laying off those pitches. Carrie Muskat also has a piece about Baez working on his plate discipline.
- He prefers 2B after shortstop.
- On defense he's working on being better aware of who's running so that he can cut down on his errors.
- Starlin Castro is out 7-10 days after tweaking his hamstring yesterday. They're calling it a strain. It's actually good news. It could have been worse. Looks like Baez is going to get some ABs early this spring.
- Jake Arrieta is playing long toss and his next step will be throwing off the mound.
- Chris Coghlan, LF
- Ryan Roberts, 2B
- Luis Valbuena, 3B
- Junior Lake, CF
- Javier Baez, SS
- Aaron Cunningham, DH
- John Baker, C
- Chris Valaika, 1B
- Darnell McDonald, RF
SP: Eric Jokisch, LHP
What to watch:
- Jokisch gets a vote of confidence by getting the nod as a starter today. He was 11-13 with a 3.42 ERA (3.62 FIP) at AA Tennessee last year.
- Junior Lake's defense in CF.
- Javier Baez -- whatever he's doing.
Filed under: Uncategorized