Spinal Tap is big in Japan. David Hasselhoff is big in Germany. Cubs Den is big in Korea? Ok, maybe not, but they did refer to us here and our scouting report on Suk-Min Yoon. How cool is that?
Arizona Fall League Recap
- Kris Bryant is on fire. He hit 2 more HRs and hit a controversial ground rule double that hit the bottom pole of the fence and bounced over. It could have been 3 but even still, it's obvious Bryant is seeing the ball well. He scored 3 runs and drove in 4. Bryant is hitting .423 (11 for 26) with 4 HRs so far. Wow.
- Jorge Soler had a pair of hits and an RBI. He's hitting just .226 but by all accounts he looks good so far.
- Albert Almora hit a double in 6 ABs and is now hitting "just" .417.
- The pitchers didn't fare so well. Dallas Beeler got off to a rocky start, giving up 3 runs in the first inning though he gave up a soft single and a seeing eye grounder sandwiched around a double. He gave up 6 hits in all, 3 on groundballs but was able to get out of trouble in the 2nd and 3rd innings with the help of a couple of double plays.
- Armando Rivero gave up 2 runs in the top of the 9th to break a 9-9 tie. He was charged with the loss.
Odds and Ends
- More prospect stuff, for those of you who have never seen instructs, here's a Baseball America Video featuring 2013 draft picks LHP Tyler Skulina (4th round) and Rob Zastryzny (2nd round).
- Red Sox sign Dalier Hinjosa to minor league deal per Ben Badler of BA. We reported earlier that the Cubs had shown interest, but apparently there wasn't a whole lot. Hinjosa was considered a lesser prospect than Miguel Gonzalez, whom many think will be a reliever in the majors.
- Jeimer Candelario is getting ready to play for Aguilas of the Dominican Winter League and there's a photo of him in this tweet. It's only been about 6 weeks since the season ended but he's kept himself in great shape.
- Julie DiCaro of Aerys Sports talks to 3 sources on the Cubs managerial hire. The verdict? One says either Acta or Martinez another says Hinch and a third says Renteria. So we're right back where we started. The truth is nobody really knows here. What I have is industry opinion and you all know my favorites by now. Now that the 4 candidates have interviewed, they are moving on to the next step in the process.
- David Kaplan believes the Cubs should go with the bold move and hire Brad Ausmus.
- And finally, more draft stuff. Baseball America is giving out draft report cards and while they haven't gotten to the Cubs yet, they did rank some picks in different categories. Kris Bryant ranked 1st in Power, 1st in Best Pro Debut, 4th in Closest to the Majors. Other players who ranked were Jacob Hanneman (5th best athlete) and Trevor Clifton (3rd best late round pick).
Filed under: Uncategorized