I will be late today as I'm going downtown with my wife to celebrate the Blackhawks championship and then meet a friend later. I thought that maybe this would be a good day to give the rumor thread a test run. I'll get you guys started with some news I've heard which jives with some news from Carrie Muskat...
I just got back home and there's a few more rumors to report.
- The Rockies are heavily scouting Matt Garza, whom many believe will be traded well before the July 31st deadline. The Rockies are also interested in Cubs closer Kevin Gregg.
- Jon Heyman reports that the Orioles, Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Rangers, Red Sox and Blue Jays all have varying degrees of interest in Garza. Ken Rosenthal confirms that the Rangers have been scouting Garza closely.
- On a different front, Jim Callis of BA tweets that Kris Bryant will sign, though he may be the last draftee to do so this year.
- We've been hearing of late that the Cubs have scouted the Blue Jays and Nationals pretty heavily and that may be due in part to the fact that both teams would like to make a deal quickly. The Nationals have gone on record saying they'd like to do that while the Jays are in a similar situation in that they have some ground to make up and the sooner they can acquire talent, the sooner they cans start trying to close that gap. Not coincidentally Carrie Muskat tweeted that both teams scouted Matt Garza's dominant start yesterday. The Phillies, Orioles, and Dodgers were also on hand, though the Dodgers are thought to be prioritizing Ricky Nolasco.
- Ken Rosenthal writes that the Diamondbacks are "interested" in Cubs ace Jeff Samardzija. I don't have to tell you that a) that would require a a package of elite prospects to even get Theo's attention and b) that trade is very unlikely to happen -- but this is the kind of rumor that can be fun to speculate on....so speculate away!
- For those hoping that the Cubs will trade for international pool money, Sahadev Sharma writes that that does not seem to be a priority according to Theo Epstein. ""Maybe," Epstein said about the possibility of acquiring more space via trade. "It's not a huge priority, but we have a strategy with respect to (international free agency), we'll execute it. It doesn't necessarily require us adding pool space."
Filed under: Rumors/Speculation