The Cubs officially signed 4th round pick Tyler Skulina to $800,000. Slot is just over $477K. Jim Callis of BA describes Skulina as a potential frontline pitcher, featuring a 91-96 mph fastball with a tight slider clocked in the 80-84 mph range. His command is inconsistent. Callis also said that, other than 2nd Rd. Pick Rob Zastryzny, Skulina has the best shot to remain a starter of the pitchers the Cubs drafted this year.
We have a video for you as well, courtesy of @shadowsofwrigley. It's Reggie Golden's monster HR.
Now let's get to the recap...
Omaha 3 - Iowa 1
- Guillermo Moscoso pitched 5 innings and walked just one batter and struck out 4, but did give up 3 runs.
- The I-Cubs got 4 scoreless, no-hit innings of relief by LHP Hisanori Takahashi (1 IP, 1W, 1K), Michael Bowden (2 IP, 2K), and Marcus Hatley (1IP, 1K).
- The I-Cubs drew a tough assignment in top Royals pitching prospect Yordany Ventura. A HR by Edwin Maysonet accounted for their only run. Brett Jackson and Junior Lake each had singles.
Mississippi 4 - Tennessee 1
- AJ Morris is actually doing a better job starting than he has in relief this year. He threw 4 one-hit, scoreless innings though he did walk 3. He also struck out 5. Morris has a 4.08 ERA overall, but has a 1.32 ERA in 3 starts.
- Yeiper Castillo looks like he may have lost his starting spot and instead piggybacked Morris' start, going 3 innings of one run ball. He walked one and struck out 3.
- OF Rubi Silva had a 3 for 4 day, including a double, and scored the team's only run. He's hitting .273/.300/.492 on the year with 9 HRs.
- 3B Christian Villanueva went 2 for 4 and raised his line to .261/330/.427 on the year with 5 HRs.
Kane County 4 - Wisconsin 2
- In what I think may be his last start for Kane County, Pierce Johnson pitched 7 shutout innings, walking 3 and striking out 5. He allowed just 4 hits. Johnson finished the first half of the season with just a 5-5 record but did have a 3.10 ERA with 22 walks and 74 strikeouts in 69.1 innings. Johnson was hitting 93-94 mph in the 7th inning (h/t @TommyECook)
- Steve Perakslis continued his string of good outings and once again got a save opportunity, earning his 3rd save with a scoreless inning. He walked one and struck out one and lowered his ERA to 2.97 on the year.
- Albert Almora had a rare hitless day and in fact, hasn't had in a hit in his last 7 ABs to lower his average to .402 on the year.
- Dan Vogelbach and Gioskar Amaya each singled and walked. Amaya also scored a run. Vogelbach is hitting .265/.338/.442 on the season with 11 HRs.
- Rock Shoulders went 2 for 4 and hit his 13th HR of the year. He has cooled off since his red-hot April but is still hitting a solid .264/.367/.489.
- Backup catcher Carlos Escobar went 2 for 3 with a double, run scored, and RBI.
- Reggie Golden hit the big HR featured above. He also tripled, scored a run and drove in 2. Golden hasn't looked a whole lot like a hitter who played just 7 games at Boise last season. He's hitting .295/.340/.523
Boise 8 - Eugene 2
- Boise got their 3rd straight scoreless outing by a starting pitcher. This time it was 22 year old RHP Loiger Padron, who went 4.2 innings pitched and struck out 3. He did walk 3 hitters, however. Duane Underwood tries to keep the streak going tomorrow.
- Last year's Cuban signee Carlos Martinez-Pumarino went 1.2 innings and allowed a run to score.
- One of my favorite sleepers on this team, RHP Michael Hamman has taken over the closers role. He hit 94 again today on the gun and was getting swings and misses with it again. He earned the save with 1.2 scoreless innings, walking one and striking out 2.
- Kevin Encarnacion is another sleeper on this team after spending a couple of years in the DSL. The athletic Encarnacion went 2 for 3 and showed his good approach with a couple of walks. He also scored a run. Encarnacion also got his 3rd SB of the year. He's hitting .364 after 3 games.
- Yasiel Balaguert made a great running catch the other day and today he hit a bases-clearing triple -- I'm really becoming convinced he's in better shape than what I saw in Peoria last year. He had the reputation of being a pretty good hitter in Cuba but did not show that at all last year. This year he's been hitting the ball well in BP and using his legs to make plays. Balaguert also singled, scored a run, and drove in a total of 4 runs.
- C Lance Rymel went 1 for 3 with a double and 2 RBI.
- Shawon Dunston, Jr. singled, scored a run and doubled off a runner at first. Dad must be proud that junior used his arm to make a play. Happy Father's Day!
Filed under: Daily Cubs Minors Recap