There's a lot of minor league news today including promotions, a story on Paul Blackburn, and the Cubs international free agency plans, so I decided to cover it early instead of doing it all in the recaps. In case you missed it, here's the link...
For those looking for Felzz's recap, he's out catching the Social Distortion concert so he'll be a bit late with it. We may not see it until tomorrow.
One more note. New signee RHP Scott Frazier, as expected, will play for Boise. Whether that has an effect on Paul Blackburn and a possible promotion remains to be seen.
Iowa 5 - Omaha 1
- LHP Chris Rusin had another strong, pitch-to-contact type outing in which he threw strikes and worked efficiently. In all,. Rusin went 7 innings and allowed just one run -- walking one and striking out two to move to 7-7 with a 3.27 ERA. Since a rough start in April, Rusin is 6-5 with a 2.64 ERA with just 1.32 walks per 9 IP. He's looking like a good bet to get a starting spot after the trade deadline if the Cubs don't acquire MLB ready pitchers.
- Logan Watkins had a 4 hit day, all singles, as he drove in a run and scored another. Watkins big day but him back over .250 for the season (.253) and the nice thing was that some of it was against a lefty starter (2 for 3) where Watkins has struggled. He's still hitting just .219 against southpaws even after the two hits. He's hitting .270 vs. RHP.
- Dave Sappelt went 3 for 5 with 2 RBI and a run scored to raise his average to .270.
Tennessee game was suspended
Daytona 12- Tampa 6
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang got a rare start and didn't seize the opportunity, failing to show his usual solid control with 4 walks and did not strike out a batter even though he came into the game averaging over a strikeout per inning. He allowed 4 runs in 2.2 innings.
- RHP Austin Reed had another great performance as he continues to try and rebound from an awful start to the season. He pitched 3.1 innings of one hit ball with no walks and 5 Ks. With the big day and the recent improvement, Reed is closing in on a 7 K/9 IP rate -- something that seemed out of reach earlier. He's been averaging about a strikeout per inning in his last 6 outings, though he continues to struggle with consistency. He has a 5.49 ERA overall. When I saw Reed as a Chief visiting Kane County, he was hitting 95 mph with a solid slider and change -- yet he seemed to get hit more often than he should.
- Eduardo Figueroa finished the game with 3 innings of 2 run ball and earned the save.
- CF Zeke DeVoss stayed red hot with another multi-hit game (2 for 5) with a walk, a HR and 4 runs scored. DeVoss continues to climb back toward respectability and is now hitting .248/.390/.361. DeVoss also stole his 16th base.
- Once upon a time, Wes Darvill was considered a steal and a bit of a sleeper prospect but never really lived up to that billing. He's having one of the best runs of his career right now in Daytona. He's hitting .274 after going 2 for 5 with his first Daytona HR and he's hitting .274/.375/.400 overall -- and between Kane County and Daytona he's hitting .299/.393/.424. He's still just 21 and his good athleticism and defensive versatility may make him a useful utility guy down the road.
- SS Javier Baez went 3 for 6 with a HR, 2 RBI and 3 runs scored. Baez is hitting .273/.333/.545 with 17 HRs so far this season. After his HR, the next batter Dustin Geiger was hit on the helmet and no clear word on whether that was intentional. For his part, Baez was reportedly not show-boating after the HR. Geiger seemed to be okay after initially being dazed.
- OF Bijan Rademacher made his debut and got a couple of knocks. He gets reunited with teammate Baez. In an interview a few weeks back, Rademacher told us Baez hit the ball harder and farther than anyone he's ever seen.
Beloit 2 - Kane County 0
- LHP Michael Heesch continues to pitch well, allowing just one run in 7 innings of work. Unfortunately that one run was enough as Heesch fell to 3-6 but still has just a 3.52 ERA. Heesch walked just one and struck out 3. He has walked just 1.98 batters per 9 IP this year, working quickly with an 88-91 mph FB, slider, and change.
- Dan Vogelbach has been seeing the ball well of late and got 2 more hits to raise his average to .278. He's hit 10 for his last 20 though he hasn't shown his usual power (one double). He's hitting .278/.346/.443 overall with 11 HRs.
Boise 5 - Eugene 4
- Duane Underwood still hasn't had a great outing but he did show some improvement today in that he did not walk a batter and allowed just 2 earned runs in 4.1 innings. He also struck out 3 batters Overall in 12.2 innings, Underwood has walked 4 batters while striking out 10, so there is some hope that he can keep improving on that and hopefully cut down on the number of hits -- 18 in those 12.2 innings.
- OF Jacob Hanneman tripled. singled and scored a run in 4 ABs and is up to .268 to start the season.
- OF Shawon Dunston, Jr. doubled and walked twice to raise his line to .341/.420/.477 on the season. He has walked 6 times in 50 PAs for a 12% walk rate to start the season.
- Jacob Rogers singled in the winning run in the 10th and also added two walks.
Filed under: Daily Cubs Minors Recap