Rock Shoulders has no plans of slowing down after winning the organizational minor league player of the month award and the re-conversion of Alberto Cabrera continues to go swimmingly.
Iowa and Daytona games were postponed.
- Alberto Cabrera continued his smooth transition to starter, going 6 scoreless innings while allowing just 2 hits and 2 walks while striking out 8. He has a 3.31 ERA in 35.1 innings, walking 13 and striking out 34. He even scored a run on offense.
- AJ Morris lost the lead allowing 2 runs in just 1/3 of an inning and leaving the bases loaded for Trey McNutt, who did a good job of getting out of the inning with the score still tied. McNutt went 1.2 scoreless innings overall.
- Marcus Hatley struck out the side in his only inning.
- Frank Batista took the loss. He pitched a scoreless 10th but was unable to get out of the 11th.
- Ronald Torreyes hasn't really stopped hitting since getting the call from extended spring training. He had 2 more hits, scored a run, and drove in another. Torreyes is hitting .340 in his first 52 ABs in Tennessee. He has only struck out once all year.
- Tayler Scott isn't going to miss a lot of bats but he has a knack for limiting hard contact. Scott went 5.2 innings and allowed 2 runs. He walked 2 and struck out 1. He has a 3.86 ERA in 25.2 innings with 10 walks and 15 strikeouts.
- Great relief today by Steve Perakslis who pitched 2.1 no-hit innings and LHP Matt Iannazzo, who followed that up with 3 scoreless innings of his own to pick up the win.
- Game 2: 6'5" finesse RHP Ian Dickson can look pretty good when his command allows him to set up hitters and that was the case today. He didn't quite make it to the 5 innings to get the win, however. Dickson went 4.2 innings and allowed just one unearned run. He walked 2 and struck out 4.
- LHP Brian Smith picked up the win with 2.1 scoreless innings of relief. He did now walk a batter and struck out 5. Smith has a 3.38 ERA in 13.2 innings, walking 7 and striking out 16.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya went 2 for 6 in the series with a double and a walk but left the second game early. No word on the why as of yet.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario has been mired in a slump but went 1 for 2 today with a double, walk, and 2 runs scored. His average has dropped to .236.
- Rock Shoulders was the star again. He went 3 for 8 including a 2 run walk off HR to win the first game in extra innings. He had 3 RBI total in the doubleheader.
- Bijan Rademacher went 3 for 8 with an RBI.
Filed under: Daily Cubs Minors Recap