I was at Kane County once again and was lucky enough to sit in the suites today. Ventured out for ABs by Amaya, Vogelbach, Candelario, and Shoulders, but otherwise stayed inside to be warm and toasty. Pierce Johnson was much more impressive today than his box score would indicate. Will recap tonight as always.
Cubs take on the Brewers today after coming about 12-15 ft. short from a game winning grand slam by Starlin Castro. Would have won it had the wind now shifted and started blowing in. Still, it was nice to see the offense come alive.
Today the Cubs take on Wily Peralta and the Milwaukee Brewers at 7:05 CT.
In the News:
- Cubs minor league RHP Pedro Silverio was suspended for 50 games today for using a banned substance called Stanozolol. Nothing to see here. Silverio wasn't much of a prospect.
- Bruce Levine had a chat today which included some of the following nuggets. The Cubs did inquire into Justin Upton but the Diamondbacks asked for Starlin Castro and that was the end of the conversation. Darwin Barney will be back on Monday so we only have to live with Lillibridge/Gonzalez for 6 more days.
- The Indians DFA'd Robert Whitenack after claiming him off waivers from the Cubs. They are obviously trying to stash him in their minors. It will be interesting to see if the Cubs try to get him back. It will be pretty telling if they don't.
- Keith Law writes about Kris Bryant and says he doesn't see him as a high average guy but more of a .260-.270 hitter with 30 HR potential. He also thinks he may end up in RF but that he has enough athleticism to ok there.
- A couple of days ago I put up a list of players who were missing from Cubs rosters. Most were on the 7 Day DL, a few were released, and one (Juan Paniagua) was still awaiting his visa. One name not on any list is Rony Torreyes. Per AZ Phil of the Cub Reporter, he's still getting ABs down in extended spring training, so he's not hurt. He was also a week late to report, so perhaps the Cubs are making up for lost time. If so, he should be in action soon.
- DeJesus CF
- Castro SS
- Rizzo 1B
- Soriano LF
- Schierholtz RF
- Castillo C
- Valbuena 3B
- Lillibridge 2B
- Wood SP
What to Watch For:
- Felzz: Kyuji Fyujikawa- I'm guessing the Cubs are gonna get some runs off of Wily "Coyote" Peralta and it's not much of a stretch to think they may have the lead. Let's get optimistic and see how Ol' Fyuji does in his first save opportunity.
- John: Travis Wood has pitched well vs. the Brewers in his short career but one guy who has gotten to him is slugger Ryan Braun (.353, 1 HR). If Wood can contain Braun, he could wind up having a pretty good day in what should be a tough outing for hitters.
- Tom: Looking to see Starlin Castro continue the good approach he showed at the plate yesterday.