It's the Cubs vs. the White Sox today in Glendale at 2:05 CT. The Cubs will also play a split squad game and tune up Japan at 3:05 CT.
Today there is lots of baseball to watch, including the Cubs game, which will be on WGN today as well as MLB.com.
In the news...
- It was late last night, so in case you missed it, Albert Almora broke his hamate bone. It's a small bone on the palm/pinky side of your wrist. It's near the surface and often broken due to contact with an object, so it's a common, but not serious injury in baseball. According to Carrie Muskat, the Cubs expect the injury to heal in 3-4 weeks. Almora should be playing games by mid-May.
- We threw this out on the Cubs Den Facebook Page earlier today, but the Cubs will get Starlin Peralta back as he has struggled this spring with the Diamondbacks. The Cubs won't need to put Peralta on their 40 man roster, they can just assign him to minor league camp. He's expected to begin the year with Daytona. We previewed him there. Peralta has one of the better fastballs in the Cubs system but he has a long way to go. It's easy to forget that he struggled at Peoria in 2011 and the early part of 2013. One scout told me he thinks he'll be a reliever but the Cubs will keep him as a starter until he proves otherwise. We pretty much expected to get Peralta back but the Diamondbacks have had a history of keeping Rule 5 picks, so it's good to know that it's official now.
- Speaking of the Facebook page, you can get some news quicker that way. If you're on Facebook, please give our page a "like". You can also get fast Cubs news on Twitter by following @cubsden.
- If you you still didn't get your MLB Draft fix from our first 2013 mock draft, there is a premium pitching matchup tonight: Sean Manaea of Indiana State vs. Thomas Windle of Minnesota. They are arguably the two best college lefties in the draft. You can catch a stream of the game on ulive. Just click live events and scroll down to that game.
- A couple of videos for you at the very bottom of this article. The first is of Dan Vogelbach and the second is of Reggie Golden. They are both big hombres. Golden is built like a fullback. Each player singled. Video courtesy of @ericlpauly. If you're on twitter, give him a follow...
Vs. White Sox...
- Valbuena 3B
- Barney 2B
- Castro SS
- Schierholtz RF
- Hairston DH
- Navarro C,
- Bogusevic LF
- McDonald CF
- Nelson 1B
Starting Pitcher Scott Feldman
5 things to watch for...
- It's on TV! So we can truly "watch" this time. For many, it'll be their first look at new acquisitions Nate Schierholtz and Scott Hairston.
- Starlin Castro will make his second start since returning from a hamstring injury.
- Darnell McDonald is in CF today and his ability to defend there will go a long way in determining whether the Cubs keep him, be it in Chicago or Iowa.
- Bryan Bogusevic is still red-hot and he's a keeper. He still has an outside shot at the 25 man roster, though as a lefty hitter who doesn't play a lot of CF, he's not the perfect fit.
- The Cubs have a second game in HoHo Kam against Japan and I'm wishing that was the game on TV. Not only would it be fun to see the Japanese team play, but the Cubs are starting top prospects Javier Baez, Jorge Soler, and Dan Vogelbach. Speaking of Vogelbach, here are those videos...