With Opening Day right around the corner we thought it'd be fun to give you our predictions for the 2013 season. We came up with 10 questions for the season.
Too bad we didn't have a category for first new injury because it appears that is Darwin Barney, who will miss Opening Day after slamming his knee against a concrete slab while chasing a pop fly. He will require 5 stitches and may go on the DL -- primarily because the Cubs aren't sure the injury can heal while he plays. Knowing the way Barney approaches the game, I think it's a safe bet that they need to keep him off the field.
Anyway, here are our answers...
1. What will the Cubs record be?
- Fels: 75-87
- Tom: 79-83
- John: 77-84
2. Which Cub or Cubs will be All-Stars?
- Fels: Samardzija, Soriano, Castro
- Tom: Anthony Rizzo, Starlin Castro
- John: Starlin Castro, Anthony Rizzo
3. Who will be the first veteran traded?
- Fels: Carlos Villanueva
- Tom: David DeJesus
- John: David DeJesus
4. Which Cubs will win a Gold Glove?
- Fels: Anthony Rizzo
- Tom: Darwin Barney
- John: Darwin Barney, Anthony Rizzo. I also think Travis Wood can be a top fielder but doesn't have the rep to win the award.
5. Who will be the Cubs surprise/breakthrough player?
- Fels: Welington Castillo
- Tom: Rizzo will establish himself as a bona fide slugger, also could see Junior Lake making an impact later in year.
- John: Nate Schierholtz. I think the Cubs will put him in a position to succeed and he'll put up career numbers.
6. Who will be the Cubs surprise/breakthrough pitcher?
- Fels: Matt Garza
- Tom: Carlos Villanueva will prove to be dependable, but Chris Rusin could make impact out of the pen.
- John: Travis Wood
- Fels: Umm.....Hopefully Brett Jackson
- Tom: Junior Lake
- John: Brett Jackson, but a bullpen arm may get the chance to come up sooner and make a bigger impact this season.
8. Who will be the Cubs core players by the end of the season?
- Fels: Rizzo, Castro, Shark,Castillo and Vizcaino
- Tom: Rizzo, Samardzija, Castro, Barney, B Jackson
- John: Castro, Rizzo, Samardzija, Barney, Castillo, Travis Wood may establish himself as a low cost #4 SP, Mike Olt (fingers crossed)
9. What is one improvement you'd most like to see the Cubs make?
- Fels: Cubs sign deal with Half-Acre Brewery to sell beer at Wrigley. Oh and Epstoyer acquires more power for the Cubs lineup.
- Tom: Starting pitching keeping team in games
- John: I'd like to see them improve their ABs, especially the core players. Grind out ABs, better OBP, and run up pitch counts.
10. Which prospect(s) are you most excited to see?
- Fels: Dan Voglebach. But this year......At Wrigley?...hmm....Trey McNutt
- Tom: This year maybe Arodys Vizcaino
- John: As far as literally seeing them, I'm excited about seeing Albert Almora at Kane. In the majors, I'm most excited to see Vizcaino.
What are your predictions???
Filed under: Uncategorized