Today's game is at 2:05 CT. You can hear it on MLB.com today.
Here is the lineup...
Starting Pitcher: Edwin Jackson
Edwin Jackson makes his first appearance in a Cubs uniform. His shot at being the Opening Day starter got a bit more realistic when Matt Garza got hurt, but Jeff Samardzija still has to be the favorite.
5 Things to Watch For:
- Brent Lillibridge continues his quest to be a 25th man/supersub and manager Dale Sveum is giving him every opportunity to do so.
- Johermyn Chavez had a couple of good ABs yesterday. He showed a solid approach, including an opposite field line drive single into RF yesterday. He's not going to make the team but he was the most talented player the Cubs picked up among their minor league free agent signings. He's still a prospect though he'll have to prove himself in AAA Iowa.
- The first 4 players in this lineup should be the one the Cubs use against RHP all season. Well, as long as Alfonso Soriano and David DeJesus are Cubs, anyway.
- Brett Jackson gets the start in LF. He finally struck out in his last AB -- not that it's something we should be worried about. Still it would be great to see him bounce back today with another solid performance.
- The Cubs need to throw more strikes than they did yesterday. The pitchers were sloppy. Granted, some were guys like Robert Whitenack, Brian Schlitter and Jensen Lewis, who figure to open the season in the minors. I also expect better out of SP Carlos Villanueva. He's more of a "feel" pitcher than a power guy and it may take him a start or two to find his rhythm.
Filed under: Preview and Game Thread