So today we went to Kane County early, hopefully to see some BP, but the rain deemed otherwise. They did get the game in, however, without any delays. Great meeting some of you last night and I hope to meet more of you on Sunday and Monday..
The last Iowa series in New Orleans is canceled for obvious reasons, so you'll see some of the AAA players finish the season in Tennessee.
- LHP Eric Jokisch made his last start of the season a good one. He went 5 innings and walked 2 and struck out 5, allowing one run. Jokisch finished the year at Tennessee with a 7-2 record and a 2.91 ERA and a 10-6 record with a 3.11 overall. At Tennessee he walked 33 and struck out 63 in 105 innings.
- CF Matt Szczur went 2 for 5 with a double and a run scored. He's hitting .211 at Tennessee
- Logan Watkins went 1 for 3 with a 2 run HR to account for the Tennessee offense. The HR was his 9th of the season. Watkins is hitting .280/.384/.423 as he surpassed the .800 OPS mark for the first time this season.
- Matt Loosen finished the year on a good note, pitching 5 innings and allowing just 2 hits and one walk. He struck out 6 and gave up one run to finish the season at 11-5 with a 4.07 ERA. The 23 year old had an 8.8 K/9IP rate while walking hitters at a 3.7 per 9 innings rate.
- AJ Morris, 25, had a 2 inning, no-hit save, his 7th of the year. Morris has a 2.24 ERA.
- It took him until the final series of the season but John Andreoli finally hit his first HR. He also singled and walked. Andreoli has had a great season, far exceeding expectations. His line with 2 games to go is .292/.405/.380. He also stole two more bases to give him 55 on the year.
- Nelson Perez went 2 for 3 with 2 doubles and a walk. He drove in one run and scored another. The 24 year old has hit well in Daytona (.278/.382/.490) but was unable to translate that to AA Tennessee.
- Javier Baez went 1 for 4.
- LHP Jeffrey Antigua had a bit more pop on his fastball than the last time I saw him, hitting between 87-89 early before losing a couple ticks as the game went on. The slider was short and he telegraphed his change by slowing his arm speed, though one scout there told me that his change was too slow (67-69 mph) to make a difference even if he could sell it better. He gave up 6 runs in 5.1 innings today walking 3 and striking out 2. He finished the season 2-3 with a 2.63 ERA at Peoria.
- Jorge Soler went 1 for 4, singling between SS and 3B on his first AB.
- Chadd Krist hit a pair of doubles and scored both times. Krist is hitting .259 on the year with 4 HRs in Peoria.
- 1B Jacob Rogers shows a good eye at the plate, walking twice while also getting a single. Rogers has really held his own in Peoria hitting .289/.500/.426.
- Oliver Zapata went 1 for 3 with a double and 2 RBI. After a hot start to the season, Zapata has fallen to .228.
- Bijan Rademacher went 2 for 4 with 3 RBI and is hitting .223 at Peoria.
- Not a great day for starter Ian Dickson and LHP Hunter Ackerman, who gave up 11 runs between them, but LHP Brian Smith came in and completely shut down a good Everett offense. Smith has some funk to his delivery but today he repeated it well and threw strikes. He pitched 3 perfect innings and struck out 4. Smith did not a allow a run in 7.2 IP in Boise, walking 4 and striking out 9. Overall between AZ and Boise, Smith has pitched 23.1 innings and has registered a 1.16 ERA, striking out 24 and walking 10. Smith has a promising fastball (90-93)/change up combination.
- Gioskar Amaya went 2 for 4 including his 12th triple, one short of the NWL record. He also walked twice. He scored 3 runs, including the tying run as Boise came back from an 11-5 deficit. Amaya is hitting .298/.382/.496 on the year.
- Marco Hernandez has completely turned his season around and today may have been his bestgame yet, going 4 for 6 with 2 RBI, including the game tying RBI. Hernandez also scored the game winner when he scored from 3rd on a Wilson Contreras ground ball. Hernandez is now hitting .286/.311/.416 on the year.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach went 3 for 5 with 3 RBI and also drew a vital walk in the bottom of the 9th. Vogelbach is hitting. 322 with 10 HRs at Boise and .323 with 17 HRs overall this season. In this particular game, I was impressed that Vogelbach easily scored from 3rd on a short fly ball in foul territory. The big man is faster than he looks.
- CF Albert Almora went 2 for 5 with an RBI and is at .292 in Boise.
- RF Rock Shoulders had 2 hits and 2 walks to raise his line to .250/.342/.447 on the year.
Filed under: Daily Cubs Minors Recap