Congrats to Gioskar Amaya, who made the NWL All-Star team. Dan Vogelbach did not for some reason (insufficient AB, perhaps?). Oddly though, Everett's Taylor Ard is listed as both the 1B and the DH...and his numbers aren't even as good as Vogelbach's to begin with. Head-scratcher. Anyway, it appears Vogelbach decided to take it out on the team bus, which was parked just beyond the outfield wall.
Tennessee and Arizona had the day off.
- LHP Ryan Rowland-Smith started and went 5 innings and allowed two runs (one earned). That was all the offense needed for Nashville today. His ERA is 3.94 on the year.
- Jeff Beliveau pitched in relief and went 2 innings and allowed one run on a solo HR. He walked one and struck out one.
- Not much offense today. The Cubs got hits from Adrian Cardenas, Dave Sappelt, and new acquisition Anthony Recker, among others.
Game 1: Daytona 4 - Clearwater 1
Game 2: Clearwater 3 - Daytona 1
- Good to see PJ Francescon get a win. His innings have been limited of late but today he went 6 innings and picked up his 3rd win at Daytona. Francescon allowed just one run and one walk on 3 hits. He struck out 3 and induced 7 groundouts. . He has shown good control, walking just 2.57 walks per 9 innings. His ERA at Daytona is 3.75 and overall between two levels (Daytona and Peoria), he's gone 8-7 with a 3.01 ERA.
- AJ Morris pitched a scoreless inning for his 6th save.
- In the second game, LHP Frank Del Valle pitched 5 strong innings, walking one and striking out 6. He allowed just one run to lower his ERA to 3.26 with a solid walk to strikeout rate of 2.7/7.6 per 9 IP. He pitched well enough to win, but left with a 1-1 tie and RP Jeffrey Lorick gave up 2 runs to take the loss.
- John Andreoli went 2 for 6 with a walk to keep his OBP over .400 on the year (.404). He's hitting .289.
- 3B Christian Villanueva went 2 for 5 with a walk and hit his 4th HR as a Cub. He also stole his 2nd base. Villanueva has shown better plate discipline in his short sample with the Cubs, walking 10 times in 73 PAs. Overall he has put up an OPS of .907. Between the two teams this season, Villanueva is hitting .283/.359/.438 with 14 HRs and 11 SBs.
- SS Javier Baez went 2 for 6 with a triple, SB, RBI, and run scored. One of the big surprises for Baez this season has not just been his defense but also his baserunning prowess. It was his 24th steal in 29 attempts.
- Yao-Lin Wang had his worst start of the season, giving up 9 runs (7 ER) in just 4 innings. Wang fell to 4-5 with a 3.92 ERA. As a starter, he's 1-3 with a 4.57 ERA. He does however, have a walk to strikeout ratio of 3.3/9.4 per 9 innings pitched.
- 2B Zeke DeVoss went 1 for 3 and drew 2 more walks, giving him a league leading 81 on the season. DeVoss is hitting .252 with an OBP of .385 on the year. On the downside, he committed his 28th error of the eyar.
- Jorge Soler went 2 for 3 with a sac fly, scoring 2 runs and driving in one. Soler is now hitting .323/.369/.500 in 16 games.
- Tayler Scott got the start today and hung in there against a good hitting team even though he had trouble commanding his curve. His fastball was good enough to give the team 4 solid innings in which he gave up 2 runs. He walked 2 and struck out one. Scott has started 15 games and has gone 5-1 with a 2.52 ERA on the year.
- 3B Stephen Bruno went 2 for 3 with 2 walks. He's hitting .354/.428/.486 on the year.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach hit his 10th HR of the year and it was a monster, clearing the RF wall and hitting the top of the team bus that was parked outside. Vogelbach also drew 2 walks. As impressive as his power has been, Vogelbach's plate discipline has been great to see too. He's walked in around 14% of his plate appearances.
- CF Albert Almora went 2 for 4 with a double and 2 runs scored. There was also a scary moment when a little chin music sent him flying backward, landing flat on his back. Almora grimaced and was slow to get up, but eventually walked it off and finished the game.
- SS Marco Hernandez went 1 for 3 with a walk and 2 runs scored. Hernandez is hitting .275 and slugging .410 in what has turned out to be a nice turnaround in the 2nd half. The only blemish is that the walk was just the 10th at Boise.
- RF Rock Shoulders had a double and single in 4 at bats. He also drove in 2 runs.
- LF Trey Martin went 1 for 2 with a double and walk and made another nice catch in the field, nabbing a sinking line drive off his shoetops.
Filed under: Daily Cubs Minors Recap