A little news to take care of first...
Quick MLB note: The Cubs are expected to announce 7 yr/$60M deal with SS Starlin Castro tomorrow and we'll have the article up early tomorrow morning, so look out for that.
Albert Almora twisted his ankle rounding the bag and was scheduled to see a doctor today. The Cubs don't think it's serious and think he'll be back in the lineup in the next couple of days.
Robert Whitenack has been shut down for the season because he reached a pre-determined innings limit.
The Cubs will try and stretch Juan Carlos Paniagua out as a starter, as many of us have suspected. I inquired with a scout and was told he definitely has the pitches. We already know the fastball touched 97 last night and he has an above average slider, but I was told that he also showed a good change-up in the Dominican Republic. Can't wait to see what this kid get stretched out and then see what he can do against higher level hitters.
The Daytona game was postponed because of the hurricane and Boise had the night off.
Now the recap...
- Seth McClung fell to 3-15, 6.35 ERA on the year after giving up 4 runs in 5 innings.
- RHP Marcus Hatley threw a scoreless inning. In case you missed it earlier, Hatley has about a large a disparity as you'll ever see between his ERA (8.22) and his FIP (2.78).
- Greg Rohan went 2 for 4 and hit his 4th HR at Iowa and 21st overall. It was his 106th run batted in, 2nd in the organization to 1B Justin Bour.
- OF Dave Sappelt went 1 for 4 and hit his 7th HR of the season. He's hitting .269 on the season with a .699 OPS in what has been a down year. Last year, in the more pitching friendly International League, Sappelt actually performed better, putting up a line of .313/.377/.458 (and .324/.365/.481 the year before) which is more in line with Sappelt's performance in the last 2 months.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee got the start and went 5 innings, allowing one earned run while walking 2 and striking out 6. The win moved him to 9-8 with a 4.95 ERA on the year. The most disappointing part of his year has been his strikeout rate, which has dropped to a pedestrian 4.8/9 IP after sitting at 8.3/9 IP last season in Daytona.
- LHP Zach Rosscup pitched another scoreless inning to lower his ERA to 4.64.
- RHP Tony Zych has been hot and today had another 1.1 scoreless innings. He ran his scoreless streak to 12.1 innings and lowered his overall ERA to 3.80. After uncharacteristically struggling with his control, Zych has only walked 3 batters during this stretch, which is more in line with his normal rate. Overall he has struck out 10.6 batter per 9 innings. So while his ERA is so-so, his peripherals have been good and he has been pitching very well of late.
- Logan Watkins went 2 for 4 today and scored a run.
- Jae-Hoon Ha was the big star today, getting 2 hits, including a 3 run HR, his 6th of the season. We've talked at length about Ha's defense and also his improved plate discipline, but now Ha is starting to show some of that power some scouts feel he has. He raised his line to .277/.357/.393, giving him a solid .750 OPS on the year.
- Junior Lake had another 2 hit day, including a double, and raised his OPS on the year to .776.
- RHP Starlin Peralta has started to catch some attention as Jim Callis specifically mentioned him as a sleeper prospect to watch. Peralta has been hitting 96 this year with an occasional plus slider. Today he was tough to hit, allowing just 3 hits and striking out 8 in 6 innings. He did give up 2 runs. He's now 5-8 with a 3.35 ERA and Peralta has averaged exactly a strikeout per inning in his last 10 starts.
- SS Tim Saunders went 1 for 4 and stole 2 bases, giving him 7 on the year.
- Jorge Soler went 1 for 3 and was also HBP. He scored 2 runs and stole his 3rd base of the year. Soler is hitting .316 with an .870 OPS for Peoria.
- 1B Jacob Rogers is proving to be quite a find in the 40th round. The tall rangy 1B hit his 2nd HR in 2 days. In case you missed it yesterday, Rogers became the first player to hit a HR off the scoreboard at O'Brien Field in Peoria. After a slow start, Rogers is hitting .257/.458/.429 in his first 11 games
- Ryan McNeil, a 3rd round pick this season, threw 4 no-hit innings, though he did walk 3 batters. McNeil has a 1.35 ERA in 20 AZL innings, striking out 18 and walking 10. McNeil is a very projectable 6'3" RHP with good athleticism and arm strength. He has hit 93 mph in high school but has the potential to throw even harder as he matures. He also has the potential for a solid slider and change.
- Corbin Hoffner lost the no-hitter but also pitched extremely well, going 2 innings, allowing 2 hits and striking out 5. He has an 0.71 ERA in 12.2 innings with 4 walks and 13 strikeouts.
- The rest of the pitchers combined to throw a 5-hitter . RHP Steve Perakslis picked up the save, dropping his ERA to 3.20.
- The Cubs only had 4 hits themselves but one of them was a timely one - a 3 run shot by Yasiel Balaguert, his 2nd of the year.
Filed under: Daily Cubs Minors Recap