A somewhat belated minor league recap due to the holiday...
Omaha 11 - Iowa 2
- Rodrigo Lopez took his lumps today, giving up 11 hits and 8 runs (6 ER) in 4.1 innings.
- 2B Adrian Cardenas got on base 3 times with 2 singles and a walk. He's batting .324/.408/.516
- 3B Josh Vitters had a single and walked for the 21st time this season.
- CF Brett Jackson had 2 singles and drove in both Iowa runs. Jackson has 22 HRs and 26 SBs in 130 AAA games since last season. He's hitting .273/.356/.515 in those games, though he has 185 strikeouts.
Jacksonville 4 - Tennessee 3
- Dallas Beeler showed good control but got hit hard once again, giving up 9 hits and 4 runs (3 earned) in 4.1 innings to take the loss.
- LHP Casey Harman and RHP Ty'Relle Harris combined for 4.2 innings of scoreless relief. Harman struck out 2 batters and neither pitcher walked a batter.
- Greg Rohan, 3B, is showing he can hit upper level pitching. The 26 year old veteran hit his first AA HR and is hitting .462 in 4 games since his promotion.
- Justin Bour had 2 singles and Tennessee's other RBI. It was Bour's 61st RBI of the year.
Dunedin 5 - Daytona 2
- Robert Whitenack is still winless in his comeback attempt, falling to 0-3 after giving up a pair of 2 run HRs in 4.1 innings. He did strikeout 5 hitters while walking 2, so perhaps he is beginning to regains some of his swing and miss stuff. His ERA is 5.47.
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa throws his a FB at 91-93 mph is capable of throwing up to 95 mph out of the bullpen. He also throws a solid slider and a change and today he combined that with good command as he went 3.1 no-hit innings, walking one and striking out 3.
- Utility man Rubi Silva has hit .429 over the past week and brought his overall average to .292 on the season. Silva has a .319 OBP and a .413 slugging percentage.
- 1B Rebel Ridling has hit well since his demotion to Daytona and pitched in with a pair of hits and 2 RBI today.
- Ronald Torreyes had a double and a single and in his last 10 games, he is hitting .353/450/.618 (1.068 OPS). He also continues to make good contact with 19 walks vs. 18 Ks. Torreyes has his average up to .241 after hitting .184 through May. Since then he has hit .330 with 3 HRs in 94 ABs.
Peoria 8 - Burlington 2
- RHP Michael Jensen got his 8th win of the year after going 6 innings and giving up just one earned run. He didn't walk a batter and struck out 5. Jensen works off of a low 90s fastball, a good curve, and an average change. He has a 3.23 ERA on the year.
- RP Austin Reed's up and down season was on an up today with 2 scoreless innings where he walked none and struck out 3.
- 2B Zeke DeVoss had a triple and a walk and is hitting .238 on the year with a .361 OBP on the year. The walk today was his 45th of the year. DeVoss also scored a run.
- CF Taiwan Easterling had 2 doubles, an RBI, and 2 runs scored. He's hitting .236 on the year and is slugging .338.
- 3B Dustin Geiger is on fire since his callup. Today he had 2 HRs, giving him 5 in 88 ABs. He's hitting .318/.371/.523 overall.
- SS Javier Baez had a single, an RBI, and a run scored.
Tri-City 5 -Boise 3
- LHP Willengton Cruz gave up 5 runs in 4 innings but RP Felix Pena came in to stop the bleeding with 4 innings of one hit, no walk baseball. Pena has a 2.13 ERA with 6 walks and 8 Ks in 12.2 innings.
- C Chadd Krist went 3 for 4 with a double and 2 runs scored. For someone who was picked early and given just a $10K bonus to create more pool money, Krist has performed quite well. The good defense was expected but Krist is also hitting .390/.432/.488 on the year. He's not likely going to be a top catching prospect but he could surprise and stick as a backup if he continues to hit.
- 1B Rock Shoulders was off to a slow start but helped remedy that with a 3 hit, 2 RBI day. Shoulders has shown good patience at the plate, even during his slump, so he has already drawn 11 walks, giving him a .358 OBP, but the Cubs are expecting more power out of the big first baseman (1 HR, .375 slugging), so perhaps that will come as the season goes on.
- DH Dong-Yub Kim had a double and an RBI.
Filed under: Daily Cubs Minors Recap