I haven't done a news and notes section for a while, but there's some interesting things I've come across lately that I'd like to share with you all...
- Here's a somewhat prophetic article on Bryan LaHair by Adam Foster of Project Prospect...back in 2006. It took a while, but it looks like scouts had LaHair down pretty well.You may remember Adam as a guy we interviewed about current Cubs prospects.
- Former Cubs’ All-Star Jon Lieber will be the guest speaker to over 150 kids as part of the 2012 Citi Cubs Kids program here in Chicago for the Cubs CitiKids program on Wednesday May 9th at 9:45 AM CT at the Blaine Elementary School.
Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this one, but CitiKids does great work with our students here in Chicago.
- The Cubs and Sox game is coming up and New ERA has a funny trash-talking promotion going on. In case you missed the commercial, click on this link. Looking forward to the next one.
- Speaking of the Cubs-Sox series, be aware that the NATO Summit will be here in Chicago on May 20-21...so plan accordingly. It could get a little hectic out there.
- Ben Badler does tremendous work at Baseball America on amateur baseball and recently had a very interesting article on how teams will probably try and find a way to beat the the new CBA rules when it comes to international signings.
- The always informative Jim Callis breaks down the first round signing bonus values. The Cubs allotment for the 6th pick is $3.25M. They spent $3M to sign Javier Baez at #9 last year.
- Through the Fence Baseball put together a mock draft and has the Cubs taking LSU flamethrower Kevin Gausman. It's contingent on Lucas Giolito going #4 to the Baltimore Orioles. Giolito is starting some light throwing and is planning a bullpen session in the next few weeks.
Filed under: Uncategorized