There were only two games today as Daytona had the day off and the Tennessee game was postponed. The two teams that did play were both victorious, led by strong pitching performances from their starting pitchers...
Iowa 4 - Sacramento 3
- Chris Rusin is a lock to be put on the Cubs 40 man roster at the end of the season but if he keeps pitching like this, it may happen sooner. The LHP had yet another strong outing, perhaps his best one yet, as he pitched 8 innings of shutout baseball. He gave up just 5 hits and 2 walks while striking out 7. He's at 4-2 on the year with a 2.82 ERA. He has a 2.62/9IP walk rate with 5.28 strikeouts per 9 innings. Rusin works with an 88-90 mph fastball, good command, and one of the better change-ups in the organization.
- Scott Maine had another tough outing, retiring just one batter while allowing 3 hits, 1 walk and 3 runs. After a great start, his ERA now stands at 5.73.
- Blake Parker came in and got the last 2 outs for his 5th save.
- Brett Jackson continues to struggle. He had 3 ABs and struck out 3 times. He walked once.
- Anthony Rizzo had 2 doubles and a single while scoring one run. He's at .351/.416/.673 on the year.
- 27 year old Ty Wright had a HR and 2 RBI. He also had a single.
Peoria 5 - Burlington 3
- Jose Rosario is a slightly built, but hard-throwing right-hander, having touched as high as 97 mph. He'd struggled for most of the year but really put it together today with 6 scoreless innings. He allowed 3 hits and 3 walks while striking out 7. Rosario has been hit a bit harder than expected this season. He's surrendered 55 hits in 42 innings, but he does have swing and miss stuff with 7.5 strikeouts per 9 innings. I believe he eventually ends up in the pen, but the Cubs will keep him as a starter for now -- especially if he continues with outings like this one.
- RHP Luis Liria pitched 2 innings and gave up one run. He walked none and struck out 3. He's performed well out of the bullpen with a 2.30 ERA on the season.
- Converted power hitter Charles Thomas got hit hard after a strong debut the last time out. He pitched 2/3 of an inning and gave up 3 hits, 2 walks, and 2 ERs.
- LHP Jeffrey Lorick came in for one batter and struck him out for his 5th save.
- Wes Darvill is an athletic 3B with a good approach at the plate but so far hasn't gotten the results you would expect from such a profile. Today he walked 3 times and scored 2 runs. He's hitting .256 on the season but his OBP is a more respectable .347.
- Catcher Rafael Lopez was the DH today and had a single, walk, and scored a run.
- 1B Paul Hoilman has 2 hits and an RBI to get his average back over .300 at .302. Hoilman probably won't .300 when the year is over, but he should add to his power numbers. He has just 3 HRs on the year.
- SS Marco Hernandez had another hit and scored a run. He's at .197 on the year. He hit .105 in April but has hit .366 so far in May.
- Luis Liria pitched 2 innings and gave up a run