Not a great day for Cubs affiliates. Only Iowa was victorious today behind the strong start of Frankie De La Cruz and 4 RBI from 2B Adrian Cardenas. The Iowa Cubs drew 8 walks on the day.
Daytona and Peoria both went into extra innings only to lose while Tennessee's loss was never much in doubt as Nick Struck had his worst outing of the year.
Here's the recap on all the games...
Iowa 7 - Nashville 1
- RHP Frankie De La Cruz got the start and got the win for Iowa. He pitched 5 innings and gave up 4 hits and 3 walks, but just one run. He also struck out one.
- Manny Corpas bounced back after a couple of rough outings and pitched 3 scoreless innings. He gave up 2 hits and did not walk or strikeout a batter.
- Blake Parker finished the game with a scoreless inning.
- Brett Jackson went 1 for 5 on the day and is at .241 for the year.
- OF'er Dave Sappelt wasn't known for his patient approach as a Red Sox prospect but today he walked 3 times to give him a total of 8 on the year. He had a slow start at the plate but has rebounded somewhat and is currently hitting .219 on the year with 2 HRs.
- Luis Valbuena got the start at SS and went hitless but drew 2 walks.
- Anthony Rizzo had 2 hits and 2 RBI, giving him 21 on the year. His line is .380/.424/.684.
- C Welington Castillo has made tremendous strides with his plate discipline and has a 13% walk rate. His line on the season is .320/.435/.520.
- 2B Adrian Cardenas had a big day with a double, single, a walk and 4 RBI. He now is hitting .338.
- Alfredo Amazega is putting in time in LF with Tony Campana in Chicago and he continues to hit. He had 2 more singles and raised his average to .324.
Jackson 7 - Tennessee 2
- Tough outing for Nick Struck today as he gave up 7 runs on 8 hits in just 5.1 innings. 3 of those runs were unearned, but they were actually unearned due to Struck's own error. He falls to 2-2 on the year with a 3.29 ERA.
- 1B Justin Bour hit his 2nd HR of the year.
- Marcus Hatley and Casey Weathers came in to relieve Struck and pitched 2.2 innings of scoreless baseball. They struck out 5 between them with Weathers striking out the side in his only inning. Of course, he also walked a batter.
- Logan Watkins, Jae-Hoon Ha, and Michael Burgess all had a hit but it was otherwise a pretty quiet day for the Smokies bats.
Clearwater 5 - Daytona 3
- LHP Austin Kirk continued his good start with 6 IP and one earned run allowed (plus one unearned). He walked 2 and struck out 6. On the year he's 1-0 with a 1.53 ERA in 29.1 innings. He has 7 walks and 15 strikeouts on the season.
- RHP Ty'Relle Harris took the loss in the 10th when he gave up a 2 run HR to Anthony Hewitt.
- CF Matt Szczur is reinventing himself as an on base machine/base-stealer. He got on base 3 times. Once each via a single, walk, and HBP. His average is at .218 on the year but his OBP is .351. He has 11 steals. If he could just get his bat going, we might have something pretty interesting here.
- 2B Ronald Torreyes has been the team's hottest hitter of late. He has 10 hits in his last 22 ABs to raise his average to .276. Some reports have Torreyes as small as 5'7" but the man can hit.
- OF'er Nelson Perez hit a solo HR.
- My daily obsession with the Cubs organizational walk leader goes on and it's still even as John Andreoli tied Szczur with his 13th walk of the year. I'm beginning to think those two guys have a bet.
- 2B Rubi Silva cooled off with an 0 for 4 day, though he did draw a walk.
Lake County 7 - Peoria 6
- RHP Michael Jensen, one of the early season surprises, finally had a tough outing. It was a day when the wind was blowing out to RF and Lake County stacked the lineup with 5 lefties (although Peoria had 7) in an effort to take advantage of the wind. Jensen did not yield a HR, though he did give up 5 singles and a double. He also walked 3 batters. All told it added up to 5 ERs. Jensen did not get the loss, however, as Peoria matched Lake County run for run. Jensen is 3-1 with a 2.79 ERA.
- Dominican righty-lefty bullpen tandem of Luis Liria and Wilengton Cruz combined for 3 shutout innings with Cruz pitching 2 of those innings.
- LHP Jeffrey Lorick gave up his first run of the season which also led to his first blown save. Lorick is an older prospect but has done well in his role as a late inning reliever. He has an 0.96 ERA and 2 saves.
- RHP Austin Reed gave up an unearned run in the 11th to take the loss.
- Leadoff man Zeke DeVoss did his job by getting on base 3 times, twice via the base on balls. He scored a run and drove in another. His OBP on the year is .371.
- SS Wes Darvill is off to a good start and hit his first HR of the season to go with a single. He has put up an encouraging .284/.369/.405 line early on after a minor slump earlier in the year.
- 1B Paul Hoilman had a single, a walk, and an RBI.
- Oliver Zapata went hitless and his average has dropped to .341 after his 3rd straight hitless game. I guess we couldn't expect that tremendous hot streak to last forever but Zapata is still having a nice run early on for Peoria.
- Pin-Chieh Chen had a single and a double and scored 2 runs.