A very busy day for me today outside my usual baseball-centered universe, so I'll do some quick news and notes as I watch the ball game...
- Keith Law has an excellent analysis of Jeff Samardzija after having seen him pitch in his last outing. He had him clocked as high as 98 mph late in the game and sees potential in his secondary pitches. Don't want to say too much because it is on insider, but it's a pretty balanced analysis overall. He does think it's a good gamble by the Cubs based on what he's seen.
- The Cubs new brass is optimistic about minor league RHP Ben Wells, according to Baseball America (subscription required) a big favorite here at Cubs Den. They think he's a candidate for a big year. New Senior VP of Scouting Jason McLeod called Wells one of the pleasant surprises he has found in the spring. Wells will be part of a prospect-laden team at Class A Peoria this year. I've talked about Wells often here on this site, with this piece on the Peoria team being the most recent.
- If you're worried about the Theo comp being re-worked, don't be. The Red Sox have no legal recourse here. They chose the player and everything was done under complete transparency. The Red Sox had access to all medical records and both sides admit that the Cubs did not know about the injury. It's basically up to the Cubs if they want to re-work the deal. When asked if the Cubs were considering doing that, GM Jed Hoyer just said "no". This seems to be about Larry Lucchino goading GM Ben Cherington into this but if you ask me, it makes the Red Sox look a little whiny.
- Peter Abraham tweeted the following earlier today,Chris Carpenter said his elbow was fine when the #Cubs sent him to the #RedSox for Theo Epstein. Hopes to throw agin in 6-8 weeks.
- I will have details on Monday but I will have 2 pairs of tickets available (total of 4) for the April 12th game against the Milwaukee Brewers. I will also be going to the game as will Brett Taylor of Bleacher Nation, so even if you don't win the tickets, anyone who wants to talk Cubs with us before the game is welcome to join us for a pre-game beer.
Filed under: News and Notes