It's been a bit of a slow start for the Cubs so far as GMs just started arriving about a couple of hours ago. There was some big news around the league as Matt Kemp signed an extension with the Dodgers and Jonathan Papelbon signed a staggering deal with the Phillies. Check out the author on those two links, by the way ;)
I'm going to keep this as an open thread and add things as we get Cubs news. So keep checking in and feel free to add news you may have heard in the comments section.
- The news of Shiraz Rehman's hiring as an Assistant to the GM broke today on several mainstream websites. Gee...where have we heard that before?
- Carlos Zambrano and his agent Barry Praver arrived at the meetings, presumably to speak face to face with Theo Epstein.
- According to a tweet by SIs Jon Heyman, the Cubs will have a second round to their managerial search. He didn't say if this was just a second round of interviews with the same 4 candidates or whether any new names would be added -- or have been eliminated for that matter.
- Aramis Ramirez is looking for a 4 year deal or at least a 3 year deal w/option. They will not be talking to the Cubs, however, saying "that ship has sailed". Indeed it has, and it was the Cubs providing the wind behind those sails.
- Starlin Castro's agent, Paul Kinzer, says Castro will be in Chicago Friday to meet with Theo. Perhaps to talk about that long term deal I've been clamoring about? Let's hope so. Because he's so young, the Cubs may want to buy out his arb years and at least one free agent year. He'll be in his peak years by the time he becomes a free agent.
- Aramis Ramirez's agent is talking with the Milwaukee Brewers.
- Scott Boras plans to talk to Epstein about Carlos Pena, per the Sun-Times via twitter.
- A source tells Jim Bowden that the Cubs are leaning toward Mike Maddux as their next manager.
Filed under: Uncategorized