As part of its 2015 budget announcement, the CTA noted it was adding trains to rush hour service on some lines. Here are the details.
Some extra service already has been added in the last month. On September 29, additional rush-period service was added on the Red, Brown and Purple Lines:
- Red Line: 2 AM and 2 PM weekday rush-period trips
- Purple Line: 1 additional PM weekday rush-period trip
- Brown Line: 1 additional AM weekday rush-period trip
Additional service will be implemented on November 2 on the Brown and Orange Lines:
- 5 weekday evening trips
- Earlier and later service from Kimball to downtown on Sundays. Brown Line shuttles currently operating between Kimball and Belmont between the hours of 5:00 AM and 6:30 AM and 11:50 PM and 12:30 AM will be extended to downtown instead of turning at Belmont and forcing customers traveling to and from downtown to transfer between the Brown and Red Lines. Service will also be extended later into the evening.
- Sunday early AM:
- Service from Kimball to Loop begins at 5 AM instead of 6:30 AM
- Service from the Loop to Kimball begins at 5:35 AM instead of 7:03 AM (time from Washington/Wells)
- Sunday late night:
- Service from Kimball to Loop extended from 11:50 PM to 1 AM
- Service from Loop to Kimball extended from 12:23 AM to 1:35 AM (time from Washington/Wells)
Orange Line: 12 trips on Saturday between 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM
Additional service to be added in 2015 includes:
Blue Line: 2 additional rush-period trips
Orange Line: 2 additional rush-period trips
Two electric-powered buses added to fleet. The CTA today unveiled the first two all-electric buses. They are part on an effort to replace 14-year-old buses. The buses feature a quieter ride and lower emissions.