Work to rebuild the Wilson Red Line station and reconfigure the track layout will begin in about two weeks and finish up by fall of 2017, according to a construction schedule released by the CTA at a community meeting Tuesday.
- Pre-Construction (early-October 2014 through spring 2015): Work will entail the relocation of some utilities; foundation work for new, relocated infrastructure; and the demolition of unused freight structure, CTA owned property, the Broadway Mall and the Majestic Men’s Wear building (the façade will be kept and restored per project plans).
- Stage 1 (spring 2015 / 12 months): Existing entrances remain open as crews construct temporary entrances on north and south side of Wilson Ave. and a temporary exit near Sunnyside; demolition and reconstruction of Track #1 (SB Purple); and construction of new southbound shared platform.
- Stage 2 (spring 2016 / 7 months): All existing and new temporary entrances/exits open; demolition and reconstruction of Track #2 (SB Red); new westernmost platform in use.
- Stage 3 (fall 2016 / 6 months): Existing Wilson Ave. and Gerber entrances closed; demolition and reconstruction of Track #3 (NB Red); and construction of new northbound shared platform.
- Stage 4 (spring 2017 / 6 months): Demolition and reconstruction of Track #4 (NB Purple).
- Stage 5 (fall 2017 / 2 months): Opening of new main stationhouse and new permanent auxiliary entrances on north side of Wilson Ave. and at Sunnyside; realign final track configuration and remove temporary entrances/exits.
And, never miss a post! Subscribe now to receive CTA Tattler via email. Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.