Understatement of the year: It's pretty scary to wake up at 4:30 am to see smoke rolling through the second floor hallway of your home.
That's how my wife and I were awakened Wednesday morning.
But at least we woke up and were able to get out the of house safely with our quaker parrot.
We live in a duplex. A fire that apparently started in the basement of our neighbor's home on the west side of the duplex quickly spread up to the third floor of the very large, 115-year-old frame home. It was fed by a gas line, whose shutoff valve firefighters could not find. My neighbor the owner got out safely, though he suffered some smoke inhalation. Both him and a firefighter were treated and released for smoke inhalation Wednesday.
Here's a DNAinfo.com recap of the fire. The photo shows my neighbor's side of the house.
There's a brick firewall between my neighbor's unit and ours. It worked. Thankfully, we had no fire or water damage in our home. However, there is extensive smoke damage to be repaired. We won't be living in a our home for quite some time while experts work on that.
Good news is no one was seriously hurt, and we should be able to move back in sometime this year. It will take some time to determine whether any of our personal property sustained damage. But those are just things.
Please bear with me a bit while I get back to a more normal life.
Also, please do two things for me:
- Check/change the batteries in your smoke detector.
- Hug your loved ones.
Filed under: Altered states