The CTA is ready to move "Red Ahead" with its "Red North Station Interim Improvements," beginning with construction at Granville, the first station to be closed starting May 11.
Each of the seven stations scheduled for renovation - Jarvis, Morse, Granville, Thorndale, Berwyn, Argyle and Lawrence - will be closed for up to six weeks. No two adjacent stations will be closed at the same time. The CTA released these details at a public meeting Wednesday sponsored by 48th Ward Alderman Harry Osterman.
The good news is the entire project should be completed by the end of this year. It's a $57 million job, paid for with federal dollars.
The CTA calls these renovations "interim improvements" until it gets funding for the Red Purple Modernization project:
"While we plan for major long-term renovation of this section of the Red Line, the CTA wants to be good stewards of the existing infrastructure to maintain a safe and hospitable environment for our customers and neighbors. To meet that goal, we are performing interim improvements to address much needed capital work and improvements."
Here's the full schedule for station closures:
- Granville: May 11
- Morse: June 29
- Thorndale: Aug. 17
- Argyle: to be determined, but it will be sooner rather than later since two adjacent station (Berwyn and Lawrence) will be closed later.
- Berwyn: Oct. 5
- Lawrence: Oct. 12
- Jarvis: Nov. 9
Check the CTA's Web page for full details of the work to be done at each station. Generally, here's the scope of work at each station:
- New windows, doors and exterior lighting
- Exterior tuck pointing
- Improved station layouts
- New turnstiles
- New interior finishes (tile, floor, walls and ceiling)
- New signage and interior lighting
- Site improvements including sidewalk repairs and new bike racks
- Security camera system will be maintained and/or modified
- New waterproofing and drainage system
- New track in area of viaduct
- Repair concrete trackbed and walls
- Concrete repairs to station viaducts
- Painting/coating in viaduct areas
- New, brighter lighting under viaducts
- Platform deck structure and foundation replacement
- Platform fixtures, furnishings and canopy improvements
- New customer communication system