After topping off their Chicago Card at CTA vending machines, riders at some rail stations can rent a DVD movie at a Redbox kiosk.
The first of two kiosks were installed recently at the Wellington Station on the Brown Line and UIC-Halsted station on the Blue Line. And nine more will be installed at the following locations:
- The Polk station on the Pink Line.
- Jackson station on the Blue Line.
- The 47th Street station and 95th/Dan Ryan station on the south end of the Red Line.
- Fullerton, Belmont and Loyola stations on the north end of the Red Line.
- Damen on the Brown Line.
- 35th-Bronzeville-IIT station on the Green Line.
According to a CTA press release, "The installation of fully-automated Redbox kiosks follows multiple ideas submitted by the public when Mayor Rahm Emanuel solicited input on the 2012 Budget. “Many Chicagoans asked for Redbox kiosks.” said CTA President, Forrest Claypool. “It has been a goal of my administration to have an open conversation with our riders to help improve service throughout the system.”
This idea was suggested by Dixon Galves-Searle at the Mayor's budget ideas website. Nicely done Dixon. I approve!