OUR REGION DESERVES A WORLD CLASS TRANSIT SYSTEM. It’s time to enhance transit service to better meet the needs of our growing population. We support projects such as:
- Bring Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) to Chicagoland: We support enhancing bus service in the city and the suburbs as a great cost-effective strategy to offer Chicagoland transit riders faster, more reliable options with more rail-like convenience.
- Complete Modernization of the Red Line: We support modernizing the whole line, including repairing the existing portion and extending it south to 130th St.
- Modernize Union Station: We support plans to improve the passenger experience at the station and address transit connection and capacity issues.
OUR TRANSIT SYSTEM NEEDS INVESTMENT. Current funding isn’t even enough to operate the system we have, let alone make necessary improvements and repairs. We support innovative funding options to generate much needed funding, including:
- Increase the State Motor Fuel Tax with a Portion Devoted to Transit: As recommended in the GO TO 2040 regional plan, we support increasing the Illinois Motor Fuel Tax by 88 cents per gallon with a portion of the revenues set aside for transit.
- Flex State Motor Fuel Funds for Transit: Both the state and local governments should have the power to determine where transportation funds would be most useful—including using the money for infrastructure improvements for transit, walking and biking in their communities instead of exclusively roads.
- Flex Federal Transportation Dollars for Transit: A higher percentage of Illinois’ share of federal transportation dollars could be spent on transit. Governor Quinn, our legislators, and local governments should “flex” more federal dollars to transit projects.
- Fund Transit in Tollway Corridors. Transit will be an essential part of maintaining transportation capacity in our tollway corridors. In order to improve mobility and manage capacity, the Illinois Tollway should invest in expanded transit options in tollway corridors where it would benefit tollway users and transit riders alike.
OUR TRANSIT SYSTEM SHOULD BE RESPONSIVE TO RIDERS’ NEEDS. We’re here to remind the transit agencies and other decision-makers that issues of daily convenience, comfort and safety are important to riders and should be acted on quickly.
- Create a Universal Fare System Now: Our transit agencies should have a single system of payment and coordinated transfers so that the transition between Metra, CTA and Pace is easy and cost effective.
- Provide Real-Time Transit Information: We would like to see to-the-minute arrival times available online for all trains and buses inn the region, as well as more permanent signs at bus stops and train stations that show when the next ride is arriving.
- “Complete Stations”: Transit riders in the city and the suburbs deserve train and bus stops that are well maintained, inviting and safely accessible by walking, biking, and persons of all abilities.