Holiday baking traditions are delicious, but they're still a time consuming chore: shopping...measuring...mixing...baking...and endless cleaning. The worst part, though, is realizing you're missing an ingredient after you've begun. Don't lose your baking mojo by running back to the store, these simple ingredient substitutions are probably already in your kitchen.
In addition to the convenient baking substitutions below, you might want to keep these cooking conversion tips handy too...
3 tsp = 1 TBSP.
1 fluid oz. = 2 TBSP.
1/4 c butter = 4 TBSP.
1 cup = 16 TBSP.
16 oz = 2 cups = 1 pint
Ingredient substitutions are also a great way to boost nutrients in your baked goods. Sub half of the recipe's butter for mashed avocado...keeps all of the richness, but adds fiber, vitamin K, potassium, iron, and necessary healthy fats.
If dedicating several hours to baking is impossible for your schedule, break it into bite-size pieces.
Day 1: Make cookie dough, wrap in parchment, and freeze in freezer safe containers for up to three months. Few extra minutes? Shape dough into balls and freeze on cookie tray 10-15 minutes before placing into freezer safe bags. To thaw, set on counter for 10-15 minutes before shaping/baking.
Day 2: Bake and store in sealed containers.
Day 3: Frost and decorate!
Looking for the BEST gluten free flour and cake mixes? These are my favorites.
Ready to learn more simple ways to live a healthier lifestyle? Excited to hear about cool small shops & see if my weekly Pinterest task was a success or fail?
Add your email to the "Subscribe By Email" box on the right and you'll be notified every time there's a new post!
More changes are coming to the Favor the Earth/Conveniently Green Facebook page; "Like" my page so you don't miss any news.
- Want to know how the Shop Small challenge started? Find out here
- Wish you could have healthy lifestyle tips, recipes, videos, and sustainable products delivered right to you? Click here.
- Want to know how the Pinterest Challenge (Pin 52) stared? Click here.
- Want to try the Pin 52 Challenge projects & recipes I've completed? Follow the Pin 52: Accomplished board here.
- Shop fabulous Favor the Earth sustainable gifts, skin care, & decor here. It's where green living begins.