Got an email about a new app for people in Chicago, when I read it thought it was actually pretty brilliant.
It's something like a tour guide in your pocket. The app detects a user's location and reveals fascinating things that have happened nearby (historical events, memorable movie scenes, famous crimes, celeb sightings, etc.).
The app (available on iTunes and Android market) was named a "fun new tool…for serendipitous discovery” by The New York Times when we added NYC (http://nyti.ms/lFfntO).
It Happened Here ($2.99/city) includes hundreds of events for each of 7 cities, and we’re adding more events and cities all the time. http://itunes.apple.com/us/
Here are some of the locations:
- the former site of the Wigwam building, where Abraham Lincoln won the 1860 Republican nomination
- former high school where Principal Vernon investigated a “ruckus” he heard in the 1985 film The Breakfast Club
- the cathedral that still shows bullet holes from a 1926 shootout involving an Al Capone rival
- the high school where Unabomber Ted Kaczynski graduated in 1958 at age 15
- the strip mall where Michelle and Barack Obama shared their first kiss outside a Baskin-Robbins in 1989
- the pub where Matt Damon was recruited in the 2001 film Ocean’s Eleven
- the high school whose guidance counselor must have been WAY off predicting a career for student Hugh Hefner