If you want to eat clean in the morning, egg whites and oatmeal are the obvious choice. But you can only eat egg whites and oatmeal (or oatmeal pancakes) so many times before you're craving something different. Below are 5 quick, healthy breakfasts with just as much protein and complex carbs as the number one choice.
1. Eggs: Hard-boil 2-3 eggs. Toast a piece of gluten free bread with almond butter and take it on the go for a quick, healthy breakfast.
2. Salmon: Try smoked wild salmon on a whole-wheat English muffin. (Watch out for the sodium intake on the smoked salmon.)
3. Quinoa: Try warm quinoa with cinnamon, nutmeg, dried fruit and soy milk for a great dose of protein and fiber.
4. Smoothies: Blend a banana, mixed berries, frozen fruit, ground flaxseeds, greek yogurt and protein powder for a protein packed, antioxidant start to your day. Incredibly portable, make the shake just before you walk out the door.
5. Granola: Who doesn't love granola? Make your own by combining old-fashioned oats, ground flaxseeds, raw honey or agave, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, unsalted almonds, and dried fruit (optional). Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
The next time you don't know what to eat for breakfast, play with one of the following options and see what is easiest for you! The old adage is true: Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day. Learn how to make quick breakfast options so you rev up your metabolism and burn calories all day long!