Archive for January 2013

8 silly legal mistakes I’ve seen this year

8 silly legal mistakes I’ve seen this year
Sometimes you can be your own worst enemy in creating or worsening legal problems for yourself.  There have been a bunch I’ve seen this year, some public, some private, but all are just silly mistakes that could have been easily avoided with some common sense or basic understanding of the law. Lance Armstrong – He might... Read more »

Don’t be your own worst enemy

Don’t be your own worst enemy
A lot of people that come to me for legal advice don’t actually need a lawyer.  They need a guidance counselor or social worker. For example, a grad student at a Chicago area school called me because he was worried that he was going to get kicked out for bad behavior.  His grades are outstanding,... Read more »

“Catfishing” happens in the legal world too

“Catfishing” happens in the legal world too
            So surely you know about the Manti T’eo story and if you don’t then I doubt you are reading my random legal blog. Most people I have talked to about it have two thoughts: 1. That could never happen to me. 2. This story is so annoying I wish... Read more »
Advertisement:

Spuds McKenzie made me do it

Spuds McKenzie made me do it
            A group of convicted criminals in Idaho is suing major liquor companies, blaming them for their crimes and incarceration. The inmates claim that their alcohol use and addiction – caused by the companies’ marketing practices – made them commit crimes that they otherwise would not have committed. The inmates... Read more »

Reason #7,424 our tax system is messed up

Reason #7,424 our tax system is messed up
I have no problem in theory that taxes were raised on the top 1% or that they won’t go up at all (for the most part) on the other 99%.  But what really drives me nuts is the fact that it’s so easy for anyone to avoid paying taxes at all and there’s really no... Read more »

One of the dumbest laws in the USA

One of the dumbest laws in the USA
There are a lot of dumb laws out there. You can spend 49% of your time with your child, but if the other parent has them 51% of the time, you pay child support. It is harder to get a license to drive a car than it is to get one to use a gun.... Read more »
Advertisement:

Why do some women stay with losers?

I’m fortunate to be in a great marriage.   I’m pretty sure that my wife feels the same way . I do know that if when we were dating that things weren’t going well, we would have ended it.  There are millions of people in Chicago and if she wasn’t right for me or me for... Read more »

The biggest joke in the legal world

The biggest joke in the legal world
People call me all of the time asking me if there is a rating service for lawyers.  The answer is no because it’s subjective and not reliable.  I started www.findgreatlawyers.com as a way for the public to know that a lawyer was recommending another attorney. Of course there are tons of “rating” services for lawyers... Read more »

If you do only one legal thing in 2013, make it this

If you do only one legal thing in 2013, make it this
Do you remember Terry Schiavo?  She was the unfortunate Florida woman who became brain dead.  She lived for many months as a vegetable as her husband and parents argued over whether or not she would have wanted to be kept alive in that condition.  Her parents said she’d want to live, her husband said that... Read more »
Advertisement:
  • ChicagoNow is full of win

    Welcome to ChicagoNow.

    Meet our bloggers,
    post comments, or
    pitch your blog idea.

  • Advertisement:
  • Facebook Fan Page

  • Subscribe To Our Blog

    Enter your email address:

    Delivered by FeedBurner

  • Meet The Blogger

    Michael Helfand

    I am a lawyer who talks like a regular person. I provide direct, honest advice, and if needed, I will recommend a lawyer to you.

  • In 2001, I started www.fingreatlawyers.com. It is a free service, and I talk to people about their Illinois legal matters. I'm not the place to find a free lawyer, but I only suggest Illinois attorneys that I'd recommend to my own family members and friends. Call me at (312) 346-5320 any time if you have any legal questions.
  • Latest on ChicagoNow

  • Advertisement:
  • Fresh Chicago News